Chapter 12: We Don't Condone Child Violence, but

The next morning was when Rye, Roux and Fina were supposed to start their training with Bell. Most of the kids plus Maria and Astraea went to watch them, but they ended up with horror on their faces as the saw how hard Bell was on them.

*Thwack*

Rye: Oww... *Holding his head*

Bell: No no, don't try to block everything. You should always look for opportunities to dodge.

*Whack* *whack*

Bell: Roux, your grip should be tighter and Fina, keep your eyes on your opponent.

The first two hours, Bell was beating them up the whole time. By now, they all were near the point of crying and Maria and Astraea had enough of watching.

Rye: Why are you being so mean?

Bell's face softened as he knelt in front of them.

Bell: You three wanted me to train you, right?

Fina: Yeah, but... *sniffle*

Bell: I'm only going to be like this when we train. I'm sorry, but this is how I'm going to do it.

Astraea: Bell, they're children! Can't you be a little easier on them?

Bell: No. I'm sorry, but this world isn't just sunshine and rainbows. These kids know that well enough.

The children looked down at that whule the adults started getting annoyed with Bell.

Bell: This is exactly why I can't afford to go easy on my students. It's my job to prepare them for whatever may come in their way.

Maria: Mr. Bell...

Bell: I already know I can't prepare them for everything, but I also know I'll never be as bad as what they could encounter in life or the Dungeon. *turns to Rye and the others* I'm doing this because I care about you're futures. If you come across something you can't handle, or worse, even die, it's my fault for not training you enough.

Rye: But you can't blame yourself!

Bell: Who would I blame? I'm the only factor that isn't reliant on chance. I can decide how hard I push you. Everything else is totally random. You could go to the dungeon right now and have nothing bad happen. It's a slim chance, but a chance nonetheless.

He put his hands on the boy's shoulders.

Bell: Sorry, but you'll see that I can be an overprotective older brother. I don't want anything to happen to you guys. Remember back to when we first met, and how Astraea was in danger along with you three?

The children looked back at the memory and grimaced.

Bell: Remember how powerless you felt? I can help you learn to defend yourselves and even protect those important to you. However, if I take it easy on you, it will only hinder your growth.

They were all at a loss for words at that.  They finally understood his motive for pushing them so hard and were less upset with him. Maria clearly saw a certain amount of concern in his eyes, like he's done something similar before.

Maria: You've been through a lot for your age, haven't you?

Bell: That's right. Remember, it isn't training if it's easy. Once you get your falnas, they won't grow much unless you push yourself to your limits. That's how you grow and eventually level up, or so I'm told.

Rye: So, we just have to try really hard at everything?

Bell: Yes, and I'm here to help with that. You don't have falnas right now, so your physical abilities won't improve much. That being the case, I can at least help you learn basic fighting skills.

Danmachi: The RevenantOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara