‘The Will be done Interpreter. I trust you will send word at once if the Worthy speaks.’ Ariena nodded, the three men bowed to Ciara and then had left in silence.

‘The Will of the Worthy moves all things’ chanted Airena, who stood in front of Tiatra on the dais, facing the body of the Hall. ‘To appreciate his wisdom and deeds he gives us this period of darkness to reflect. The Will of the Contemptible dominates. We ask that he does not bring his worst powers against us.’

The Contemptible’s oak casket was carried up onto the dais by four Devotees and lowered onto its awaiting stand. Ariena stepped in front of it and bowing to it she opened its lid. Then standing to one side she spread her arms wide.

‘I bend to the Will of the Worthy.’

The Contemptible was loose and dominated their lives once more.

            ‘We bend to the Will of the Worthy,’ chorused the gathered people. Tiatra saw that D’Braggatio did not move his lips during the response. Ariena began the closing anthem, a thanks for the harvest and past days of plenty. D’Braggatio stayed tight lipped. The people sat to hear the closing message from the Worthy. Tiatra had studied the records for words given at this time of year and had selected a passage delivered by the previous Hearer for Ariena to issue. The people now believed Ciara received these words straight from the Worthy and hungered for Ariena to give them new advice each week.

‘The growing days for grain are past, but let not your hearts cease to grow. In your homes, by your fires during the dark days, let in the light. Seek knowledge as you sought grain from the fields. Gather and treasure it. Use it to guide you and to help others. This should be your warmth during the cold to come.’

‘This message is old, we have heard this before Interpreter!’ D’Braggatio’s angry tones resounded round the Hall. Tiatra saw him rise to his feet. The people were hushed and looked at him in fear. ‘You deceive us! That is no Hearer!’ He pointed an angry finger at Ciara. D’Braggatio sneered in contempt and seemed to dare the Interpreter to deny his words. Tiatra moved to step forward but Ciara stayed her and stepped forward herself. She did not usually speak during the ceremonies. Tiatra could feel the silent thrill in the audience as they awaited her words. Ciara smiled at Ariena as she came beside her. She stood tall and erect gazing around the packed Hall. Tiatra swelled at her Devotee’s proud but graceful stance. At last the girl’s eyes rested on D’Braggatio, who stood hand on hip, confident in his challege.

‘For those who have faith no proof is necessary,’ her voice was soft. But had she spoken in a whisper everyone would have heard her. The Hall itself seemed to hold its breath. ‘For those without faith, no proof is ever enough. The Worthy knows these words have been delivered to you in times past, but did you listen? Do you remember? Seek not to know his very heart. I am content with the corner he reveals to me and so should you all.’ She stepped back. Ariena bowed to her and raised her voice in the words of the closing ritual. Tiatra stood, head erect, encouraged by the girl’s words. She watched Lord D’Braggatio’s face draw as dark as thunder. He could not deny the truth of those words and she could see that this response rankled him. He sniffed and swirled his cloak up over his shoulder and marched out of the Hall before Ariena had concluded. Tiatra realised a battle had begun.

         The silence of the people as they stood and filed out of the Hall struck Tiatra. She knew that they also felt the implications of the confrontation that had just occurred. Tiatra turned to escort Ciara back to her room and saw that the girl was looking at something. Among the seats and pillars, head bowed and covered, someone was still sitting. Ciara stepped down from the dais heading towards the person. Ariena and the Devotees attended to their duties, moving about tidying up after the ceremony. Tiatra followed Ciara. As they approached the hunched figure she put a hand on Ciara’s shoulder and whispered.