CHAPTER TEN: One-Eighty

Start from the beginning

Well, it ain't smelling like roses, that's for sure...

Maintaining defiant eye contact, I lifted the sheets and gave an over the top sniff before letting it drop back to my lap.
"Like a metallic asshole."

This time around I flinched a lot, Kid pressing his forehead right up against mine, almost forcing me down through the mattress. He had all but headbutted me.
"The second you're not dying anymore, I'm gonna kill you!"

Seems counter-productive, but okay.

"No you're not. Calm down." Killer soothed the aggressive man with his deep timbre, slipping his hand between our foreheads and prying him away slowly. "We'll be at home base in a day or two anyway, so go pout somewhere else. If you're so pissy without a bed, take mine. I'll sleep on the floor."

Visible steam could have been blowing from the top of the man's head and I wouldn't have questioned it with how angry he seemed. Still, biting his tongue, likely clean in half, he stalked to the other side of the room in a huff.

It may have been the effects of my fever talking, but looking at him, I thought that maybe he could have been somewhat handsome if it wasn't for that attitude of his. Tall, broad, with that bad boy aesthetic that wasn't half bad. I could've even gotten past his lack of eyebrows if he hadn't been such a dick.

"Take her to the damn infirmary." Kid turned to leave, but Killer already had one foot out the door, waving over his shoulder.
"Not my problem. Got shit to do."

Wait. No. Come back. You're nice. He's-

Watching Kid's fist squeeze by his side, I thought about just how quickly it could have snapped my neck if it was around my throat. It wouldn't have taken him much effort, which caused me to realise that even when when he thought I was a boy he still hadn't been using his full strength against me.

Muttering exotic obscenities under his breath, Kid marched over to me and threw me over his shoulder without so much as a warning. The quick movement made me dizzy, but I didn't complain. I deserved it.

"Your hand's on my ass cheek." I pointed out as he stomped his way out of the room. His hand lowered a few inches to the back of my thigh the moment I had finished speaking. "That's better. Thanks. No offence, but my ass is reserved for real men, like Hawkeye Mihawk, Silvers Rayleigh, Jinbe Son of the Se-"

I hadn't expected his hand to return to my rear, especially not as roughly as it had, and I couldn't stifle the startled squeak that escaped my lips.
"I'm more of a man than all of those old sons of bitches combined." Kid growled, and much to my horror my cheeks began to grow hot.

Lord have mercy...

It was relatively quiet up on deck, but I couldn't miss the few stares and murmurs as some of the crew members spotted where his hand had made itself comfortable.
"Uh, s..speaking of Mihawk...Can I please have my hat back..? I know it's kinda smooshed, but it holds sentimental value."

I hadn't seen it since I had been in the cell, so I was hoping nobody had thrown it away or taken it for themselves.
"Don't know where it is, don't care where it is. You talk too much." He muttered, jostling me a little on his shoulder as he began to climb the stairs.

"At least I don't have an entire tree trunk up my ass twenty four seven..." I mumbled in return, yelping out loud when he yanked me down off his shoulder, keeping me pressed against his chest with one arm as he opened the infirmary door with the other.

"Ever stop to wonder whether it might be you that's pissing me off so much?" He asked sarcastically, rouge lip curling back over his teeth. Curiosity getting the better of me, my finger moved to touch his bottom lip. I wanted to know whether it was actually lipstick, or his natural lips.

His teeth seized my finger in an instant, but he didn't clamp down too hard. Just enough to warn me of my idiocy, but it also made my chest tingle. Just a little.
"Sorry...I just wanted to know if it was lipstick..."

His teeth are sharp...

I felt his growl around my finger, vibrating up through my hand and arm before he released me, all of me, down onto the bed. His expression wasn't as vicious now. It was almost suspicious.
"Obviously it is..." He grunted, using the back of his hand to wipe away the non existent residue I had left behind on his mouth.

"It suits you." I commented as I struggled to climb under the blanket of the infirmary bed. Sure, I was getting better, but I was still weak, and I had already been awake for much longer than I had since falling ill.

Narrowing his eyes, Kid grabbed hold of my tangled legs and freed them from the twisted blanket, not quite tucking me in but at least covering me over.
"I know it does. Hurry up and pass out again. I'm sick of looking after you, you dumb bitch..."

Actually, Killer, Heat and Wire have been doing most of the looking after...

Kid hadn't been terrible, though. Awful, but not terrible. It was, at the very least, a step up from his usual self. Angry? Yes. Loud? Yes. Violent? A little. He could have been much worse, but he was holding back. I knew it was likely due to Killer's request, but still.

Rolling onto my side, I offered Kid a small smile, for once without any sarcasm or teasing implication.
"Thanks for carrying me, Kid. Oh, and for not killing me..." I finished with a yawn, momentarily blurred vision stopping me from seeing the man's face before he turned away.

"Yeah...well...there's all the time in the world for that...Just shut up and sleep, before I change my mind..."

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
***I'm still sick but meh.

I got inspired by hearing 'Headliners', the song Kid and Law's VAs did for one of the OP albums. I swear to all that's good, Daisuke Namikawa's (Kid) voice does something to me.

Also drew a rock au kid cuz I've been bored shitless while trying to get better.

Next Time: Home is Where the Harm Is***