22. Wishes and Desires

He laughed, "I was going to say stupid fucking asshole, but that works too."

The hallways became less bright and lively, and that's how I knew we were getting closer to my- I mean, the king's bedroom.

The inspiring architecture of the place and the walls decorated with beautiful artwork welcomed us to the kings tower. The round stairs led us straight into the highest parts of the castle, with burning candles and the incoming moonlight lighting the halls just enough so we weren't knocking into things on our way there.

Why was he so obsessed with darkness?

Did the light hurt his eyes?

It wouldn't be a wild guess considering he always wore sunglasses when he stepped out of the palace.

"You're like the only guard who has spoken to me ever since I got here," I looked at Anthony from the corner of my eyes.

"I might have an idea why," he trailed off.

I gave him a confused look.

"The king has been very strict about your safety, but some of the soldiers like Louise just got back from a business in another town, so they didn't know who you were. Which is why he was being disrespectful, whereas the rest of us have been given a very long lecture about ensuring your protection and the potential harms that may come your way. Other than that, the king was also serious about two other things: 'keeping our distance and keeping our mouth shut'."

Even though I was upset with Damien, it made me feel a little better that he cared about my safety.

"But I don't see how I can protect you by doing either one of those. I won't let the king's possessiveness come in between my loyalty and responsibilities towards the throne. Sometimes you have to follow your own heart rather than a bunch of orders that come from a place of obsession."

"That makes perfect sense. And here I was going crazy talking to myself trying to figure out why the guards kept brushing me off," I claimed, thinking about Zain and Leo who completely ignored me.

"Oh yeah, trust me, it's not because of you," he said.

We arrived at the king's chambers, the doors were pushed open with two guards on either side of it.

"Thank you for accompanying me, I really appreciate it," I turned back to look at Anthony.

He bowed his head and returned my smile, "anytime, milady."

He said with a fake British accent; he held my gaze as he took a few steps back and turned around to leave. His frame vanished down the hall where we came from.

Taking a deep breath, I walked inside the room expecting to find Damien since the door was left open. But there was no one here, I thought he would've either teleported himself here or flew past us using his vampire speed without me even noticing. While I had to depend on my human feet to drag me along the huge palace.

I was about to walk into the closet to change out of the dress, but something on the bed caught me eyes.

It was a beige-colored fur coat, which even from a distance seemed so soft to the touch, making me want to reach out and cherish it under my hands. And so I did, but right as I picked it up I noticed a note laying on top of it.