t w e n t y - s e v e n

By the next afternoon, mom was still asleep and I'd barely gotten any sleep. Daniel, being the sweetheart he was, stayed up with me, swiping at my tears each time I broke into a sobbing fit.

I sat on a blue plastic seat next to my mom's hospital bed and watched her chest rise and fall with each breath. She looked kind of strange in the plain white hospital gown and I knew she'd try to take it off as soon as she woke up. Her lashes looked longer than normal though, which was also strange but I never stared at my mom for too long to notice any changes in her facial features so I couldn't really judge that.

Daniel had left a few moments ago, right after mom's nurse checked her vitals. I found it disturbing that mom wasn't awake but the nurse assured me that she was fine, her body just needed some time to heal properly and she could wake up anytime now.

It was funny how mum would never sleep in this much on a normal day but here she was. Asleep by two in the afternoon.

The door to mum's hospital room creaked as someone pushed it open. I furrowed my eyebrows as it did. Seconds later, Ali's head peeked into the room. She scanned the surroundings with a slightly open mouth and gasped when her gaze landed on me. Opening the door fully, she hurried in with Manu hot on her tail.

I stood up just as they closed in and wrapped me in a group hug. I shut my eyes, feeling the tears brimming behind them. Gosh was I glad they were here.

Ali had called this morning and I'd filled her and Manu in on what happened. Since Daniel already knew, I thought it would be best to come clean to them as well. They were the only people I trusted after all.

"I should be mad at you for not telling us as soon as you got here but I'm proud of you for being so strong," Manu said as she pulled away.

I offered a small smile which she returned. "I'm sorry," I replied.

Ali snorted. "We were worried when you didn't text back or even pick your calls. Manu even threatened to sue Daniel for kidnapping."

I laughed causing Manu to pout. "What? I thought he'd done something to her. Never trust anyone," she said, shifting her eyes to my mom. "How is she?"

"She's still asleep. The doctor said she's stable though and she could wake up any minute now," I informed them both and they nodded.

Settling back into my seat, I asked them, "how'd you get here though? I didn't give you the hospital's location."

Ali sat on the chair close to the wall, but Manu remained standing. She'd done her hair up into a neat high ponytail and was wearing a large tee shirt with jeans. Ali, on the other hand, had a check skirt and white shirt on.

"Daniel brought us here," replied Ali. "He had to make a call though. So we came up here without him. He should be here pretty soon."

As if summoned, the door creaked open and Daniel stepped in gingerly, holding a cup of coffee in one hand. He walked towards me with a small smile and glinting eyes. "I hope you don't mind them here. Ali threatened to hang me by the balls," he said, offering me the coffee.

I smiled at him, accepting the coffee without a word, letting the heat warm my palms. "Thank you for bringing them."

He exhaled and tucked his hands into his pockets. "It's nothing." He shook his head, watching me like he was scared I'd pass out from the mental strain. His concern felt like a blow across the face. "Hey, the guys called this morning. They need me for practice for a game tomorrow—I could make an excuse or—"

Slightly tightening my grip on the coffee, I cut him off. "No, don't do that. It's fine. I'll be fine."

Daniel eyed me carefully. "Are you sure? Coach won't mind."