f i f t e e n

15

Hypothesis; in this game, it's tame or get tamed.

Ali had forgotten to text me. So I'd texted her instead. After a few freaked out apology texts from her, she'd finally told me her room number and I'd headed here with the box of pretzels which we were currently eating while watching the brand new season of stranger things.

The door swinging open had both our attentions snapping up to it. Ali had a pretzel up to her mouth and I was in between two chews. Her roommate threw us a pitying look, shutting the door behind her.

The first thing I noticed about her was her hair. It was black and shiny and had bangs that touched her eyebrows. She was obviously taller than both Ali and I, she looked older as well. Adjusting her books in her hand and her bag's strap on her shoulder, she headed to her bed. Her small lips stretched into a small smile on sighting Ali.

"While others are partying hard at Jase Terrysson's place, you dragged this poor girl into your sad lonely life," she said to Ali, motioning towards me with her hand.

Ali, took a hard bite of her pretzel. "Screw you, Manu." Her voice was muffled by the pretzel being tortured by her mouth.

The roommate, Manu, laughed at her expense, dropping her bag onto her bed and walking to us—or to me. She leaned down to steal a pretzel from the box, causing Ali to glare at her. Ignoring her, she smiled warmly at me. "Hi, I'm Manu Shabra. I'm her roommate."

Ali stuck out her tongue when Manu pointed at her but I returned the smile. "Noah Bennett. Nice to meet you."

"You too," Manu replied with a smile. Sitting cross-legged next to us, she took a bite of her pretzel.

"Are you done with your architecture project?" asked Ali.

She huffed in reply and pursed her lips. "Nope. I'd go into more detail but I don't want to bore Noah with sophomore architecture stuff."

My eyebrows shot up. But before I could stare how I wasn't bothered by it, Ali cut in with a sharp nod. "Why should we talk about architecture when our dear Noah just received another text from Daniel Brighton."

How did she know that?

Like a psychic, as soon as I thought the question, she shrugged and pointed to my lit phone between us. I snatched it up and stared at the message from Daniel.

From: Assface

I can't sleep. What are you doing?

"If you don't want me reading the text that's literally in front of me, reset your display so your phone isn't lighting up every two seconds." I looked up at Ali who had spoken, ready to defend my cause but Manu cut me off.

"Wait a minute," she said, her eyes widening by the second. She gasped. "You're the Noah Bennett? The one that Daniel never takes his eyes off during his recent games?" She gasped again. This time, more dramatically. "I thought you were taller."