e i g h t e e n

18

Hypothesis; Shit, that was close.

Before my mom resorted to drugs, she used to be a shit baker. But she did tell me that once a cake was ready, you'd stick a knife in and it'd come out clean. So the moment I threw the oven open, I grabbed a knife from the island and stuck it in. All the while, in my head, I kept weighing the gravity of what I'd done.

Daniel had seen me now. He didn't know what my mom resorted to for comfort but he did know I was broken and not the kind of girl someone like him was supposed to be seen with. That realization had my heart sinking once again.

The knife came out of the cake clean. Tossing it unceremoniously into the sink, I reached for the pans. With my bare hands.

Next thing I knew, my hand was being ripped away from the oven and shoved under the running tap. Daniel swore under his breath as he held my hand in place, studying it like I'd been burnt. He turned off the tap and shifted his glare to me.

"Did you burn yourself?"

Despite the fact that he'd just successfully prevented my skin from being fried, my hand still burned where he touched.

"I—I didn't. I wasn't—"

He interrupted my stuttering. "Yes, you weren't thinking and you could have hurt yourself terribly."

My heart had not slowed down it's assault and my brain was going into overdrive. Suddenly, the place felt way too hot to handle. Daniel was standing too close for my head to function properly and I just couldn't think.

"I'm fine." It was like a programmed reply. A reflex. Something that felt so natural, it was almost wrong. I was not fine and by the scowl on Daniel's face he knew it. He knew too much.

When his conflicted gaze drifted down to my lips and back up, my heart skipped six beats at once. I yanked my hand out of his and stumbled back. Too fast.

I needed this fast. If the romcoms were any good, equating their theories to his actions, Daniel wanted to kiss me. And one sick twisted part of me wanted it too. But it was too soon. Too much at once.

Shaking my head at his confused expression, I took another step back, before hightailing out of that apartment like my butt was ablaze.