n i n e t e e n

19

Hypothesis; If I, Noah Bennett break this code of conduct, it'll be free fall.

From; Mom

From; Mom

I'm out of money, Noah.

I frowned at the screen of my phone before placing it face down on the counter and facing the cashier. If I ignored my mother's texts, maybe they'd stop coming.

Dammit if ignorance made a dent in my raging mind. No matter how much I tried, my mom's demands fought for first place in my string of thoughts. I'd already almost exhausted the money Chanelle had deposited. There was the cost of fixing my car-which was useless now-and the money I'd given to mom two weeks ago for her habits and there was my daily upkeep. So far, out of the initial five grand, I was left with less than one thousand five hundred dollars.

Heeding to mom's request for money would mean resorting to hunger for the rest of the semester. I wasn't even sure that Chanelle's offer was still on the table, considering I'd torn my chances apart on Wednesday. Sooner or later, I'd have to get a job.

"That'll be twelve dollars," the cashier said with a flat expression. He'd wrapped up my groceries-which mainly consisted of fruit juice, gummy bears and a some bananas-in a bag.

After making my payment, I took my phone from the counter, tucking it into my back pocket and headed out of the store, walking to my hostel.

My car was gone for good, God bless her soul. Too bad I'd spent so much money on fixing her up all for nothing. With how much money I spent in a week on just college survival, I was going to have to ask Ali and Manu for job suggestions soon.

To an extent, it felt like life had slowed down ever since the almost kiss with Daniel. At first, he'd tried texting me and being the bad person I was, I focused on leaving him on read. The last time he'd texted me was last night, after his game. And it was just one statement.

I miss you.

Even now, remembering the text, my heart still clenched like it did after I read it. If I was being frank, I missed him too. I missed our banter. The sadness that overwhelmed me was the strangest unexplainable thing especially since initially, the plan was for him to be the sad one. The emotions weren't supposed to leak onto me.

Then there were the texts from Ali and Manu that sent the exact same message.

From; Ali
friday, 6:38 PM

Furman's team just drew with the opposition. That has never happened before. Noah...?!

From; Manu
friday, 6:39 PM

I've never seen Daniel this distracted, Noah.

I knew it was wrong for them to attribute his distraction fully to me. But one small part of my heart still wondered if they were right. If he was affected by my reaction on Wednesday and it cost the team a winning spot. That thought only made the guilt brewing in my stomach to double. If he was reacting this way now, how would he react when I actually broke his heart like Chanelle wanted me to? Would I be able to live with myself?