seventeen

Motion Sickness - Phoebe Bridgers

August 27, 2021

I can barely make it up the stairs as I clutch my stomach in laughter.

"That can't all be true." I say in between gasps.

"100%, baby." He tells me.

Over the past two weeks, Jesse Spade has taken it upon himself to teach me how to live. Every morning I am woken up by the smell of coffee and pastries coming from the kitchen.

Right as the clock strikes ten in the morning, we are out the door and doing things I never even knew about, even after living in London for two years.

One day we went to a museum, but we had to leave early because we couldn't stop whispering things in each other's ears. I sputtered out a laugh that was a bit too loud and received some looks from others around. We ended up going to a cafè across the street instead.

"Do you miss it? Paris, I mean." I asked as we climbed the flights up to my flat.

He shrugged. "Of course. My family is there, but this part of my life belongs in London."

"How do you do that?"

"Do what?" he retorted.

"Find the positives in everything."

We make it to my door. My hand reaches for the handle, but Jesse's palm finds my shoulder, pausing me in motion. His mouth is right beside my ear. I can feel his breath fold through my hair.

"Dwelling on the bad does nothing but bring you down. Searching for the good gives me a little bit of hope in the world."

He grabs my hand that is on the handle, pushing it open.

"Jesse!"

Niall comes running, crashing into Jesse. He looks at me over Niall's shoulder, sending me a funny face before whispering something in his friend's ear that I can't hear.

"Hey Ni." I say. My eyerolls could be heard through my voice.

"Oh yeah. Hey Al." Niall spins around, ruffling my hair. He grabs my chin, tilting it up. "Are you sunburned?"

I place my hand on my cheek, feeling how red hot they are. "I guess so,"

"We were laying in the park all day. Guess we underestimated the sun's strength." Jesse says, covering my hand with his.

I take a step back, disconnecting us.

"You two coming to the show tonight?" A voice by the window chirped up.

Oliver had his back against the wall, his hand holding a joint outside. Ashes fall to the ground from stories above.

"Of course, mate." Jesse answers.

"Great," Niall says, wrapping his arm around his shoulder and pulling Jesse to the couch.

Being outside all day made my skin sticky and my clothes glued to me. I dip out of the living room, heading down the hallway. Niall's voice rings behind me.

"Viv is getting ready in her room."

I pause in front of her door, knocking a few times to let her know I'm back before heading to my room. I opened the door wide, but let out a yelp and slammed my hand over my eyes.

"Hey!" I hear from Harry.

But not just Harry.

Shirtless Harry. Pantsless Harry. Only wearing boxers Harry.