one

Deep End - Ruelle

August 4th, 2021

I broke through the door and just kept forward.

My feet hurt.

Hitting the concrete faster than I can think. But I just keep running.

The long hallway is narrow and bare. Grey.

No windows. Just the flickering fluorescent lights that seem to be five minutes from burning out and leaving me to be in complete darkness.

It's never ending. The farther I run, the farther I have to go to get to the end. I can't even see where the next door is.

As I keep running, I turn over my shoulder to make sure they aren't gaining on me. They haven't made it through the door yet. I have time.

But I'm not slowing down. I can't.

My chest is burning each time I inhale. I can feel the speed of my heart, threatening to crack open my chest and fall out onto the floor in front of me. It would smash beneath my feet before I could even realise that my heart is shattered like glass.

The door slams. It rattles the floor. I lose my balance.

I look behind me, and they are marching down the hallway. They aren't running like I am, but somehow they are getting closer.

As I turn my head back around, I slam into something.

Or someone.

I'm met with a chest before my eyes, their hands gripping my shoulders to stop me.

I look up and meet their eyes.

"Dad?" I whisper. "What are you doing here? You have to get out of here! They are coming!"

I become more frantic, but he just keeps his face flat.

"Come on!" I yell, trying to get around his tall build. "We have to get away-"

"Alice?"

My bedroom door creaks open.

My back faces the door, giving zero indication that I am now awake.

My room is dark. Even though the sun is out, my blackout curtains keep the blinding light out.

"Al?" Her Irish accent is a dead giveaway.

"Viv?" I groan. "I thought you were coming back tomorrow."

I felt the other side of my bed dip, her hand pulling my shoulder to roll me onto my back. I finally open my eyes, meeting the beautiful face of my roommate. The hallway light casts a soft glow across half of her face.

"Not happy to see me?" she cocks an eyebrow.

My lazy lips pull into a smile as I look up at her. "I am. Why did you come back early?"

Everyone has been away for almost three months on summer holiday. Visiting home and going on family vacations.

Sigh.

I haven't seen my best friend in so long, but there is no energy in a single cell in my body to get excited.

"I know what day it is." she says, her face becoming sincere.

My face falls. I break from her eyes, staring at the ceiling. My body is weak, unable to move.

Vivianne's hand brushes the stray hairs out of my face, smoothing it down with a soft touch of her palm.