nine

Everywhere - Fleetwood Mac

August 9, 2021

I could see the front door swing open from the kitchen. I'm standing at the counter cutting limes into slivers when the twins saunter in. A trail of magical dust follows in their wake wherever they go.

Marion pauses Reese in the doorway. "Holy shit. I don't think I've ever seen it so clean here."

My eyes roll and I keep slicing. "I know, I know."

Once we got back from shopping, the women were gone and the flat looked like it had a thin layer of shimmer from how spotless everything is. It even smells like a hug in here.

"Viv is getting ready." I told them as they slid onto the island stools. "Niall is showering." I added, smothering my smile from how Marion perked up.

"Why don't you join him?" Reese nudged her arm into Marion's.

She scoffed, "As if. Our makeup was professionally done. I'm keeping this on until the day I die."

I beg them to tell me about how everything went today. They both sent each other a giddy look before spilling all of it.

"Michael fully signed us as his clients!" Reese gushed.

"And he wanted us to do some practice shots, so we got to get all dressed up." Marion added.

"But it was so stressful, so I hope those limes are for some shots." Reese eyes my hands.

I nodded at them. "Grab some glasses, I'm almost done-"

I sucked in a sharp breath between my teeth. Within the one second I looked up from the cutting board, the knife sliced right through my hand. Right through the skin between my thumb and pointer finger. A string of curses fell from my mouth erratically, until I saw the first sight of blood.

A burning sensation floods through me, starting at my hand and working its way up my body. The blood starts running down my arm. I'm frozen to this spot, I can't pull my eyes away from the drips falling from my elbow.

It feels like hours before one of them grabs my arm and drags a kitchen towel up the length.

"What the Hell, Al?" one of them says. The words sound slow motioned.

I can't breathe. The sight of blood leaves me immobilized. A ring blurs around my eyes, so the only thing I can see is the blood soaking up the thin towel.

"It hurts really bad." I can't tell if I say this out loud or if it is just another thought in my mind.

One of their hands grabs my face, bringing my eyes up to theirs. Only then can I tell that it is Marion speaking while Reese is holding my hand.

"You're okay, Alice. You're okay." She reassures me.

She leads me to breathe with her, deep inhales and deeper exhales. My lungs stutter through it all.

"I think I'm about to pass out." Again, I don't know if it is a thought or actual words coming from my mouth.

My head feels light, air blowing straight through my ears like my head is hollow.

"She's looking a bit green, Reese."

Next thing I know, I'm being pulled through the apartment. Right when Niall opened the bathroom door, just a towel around his waist, they pulled me in. I instantly threw up in the toilet.

"What happened?" Niall's voice could be heard from behind me.

"She cut her hand."

"She doesn't do blood. Like at all."