Chapter 3: The Beginning of a Legend

NO ONE'S POV

It is dusk. The sun is falling on the horizon and the sky is painted with the tranquil colors of twilight.

To the west of The Kingdom of Holfort, lies a lawless island that no one knows, no one...but pirates. For this place of debauchery and sin is their haven, their nest, capital of piracy in the kingdom, The Devil's Crown.

Three separate floating islands were held together by metal chains and wooden bridges, each having tall mountain formations that had formed a crown when the islands joined together, hence the crown in its name.

This place is a neutral ground for pirates big and small, all forced not to cause any trouble by the three pirate lords that governed the island.

In the past, this was where the infamous lawless criminals can repair their ships, buy, sell and trade their stolen valuables, and enjoy a round of rum after a successful raid.

However, times have changed.

No longer was this a place of rest and celebration, now it serves as the last haven for any pirate left out there seeking refuge from the terror that now sails the skies in the hunt for them.

It all started a few months ago, when a lieutenant of one of their three pirate lords, along with his small armada, disappeared. No news of them had ever been heard of ever since.

Then it happened again when a neutral gang of pirates went missing, their last destination being the newly established territory of a rising baron.

This occurrence was soon noticed when fewer and fewer ships arrived at Devil's Crown. At first, they thought it was the royal army finally doing something, but none of their spies on the mainland told them that it was the case.

Their next idea is that those missing pirates are making their own alliance to oppose the Three Pirate Lords. It seemed the most possible case for them at that time and they all prepared for war.

Yet as the days went on and more ships went missing, the idea of a civil war against their own began to disappear.

They were so unsure of what was going on and paranoia began to fill their ranks.

That's when the rumors began to spread.

It all started in the capital, a story about a young son of noble blood adventuring into the unknown but was captured, tortured, and killed by pirates and has returned to take his revenge. Aboard a ship made from fire and brimstone, with a crew of silver servants that bow to his will, and a metal hook to replace his lost hand, the boy, now a vengeful spirit, sails once more to kill every pirate in the land of the living.

The legend of The Dreaded Dutchman and its undead captain, The Hook, they call it.

At first, they all thought it was hogwash, a made-up attempt to scare away pirates. They all didn't believe it of course...but that was until the day the package arrived.

{=}{=}{=}{=}{=}{=}{=}{=}{=}{=}{=}{=}{=}{=}{=}

Two pirates are seen on guard duty over on the west side of Devil's Crown's port. They each held a lantern to guide their way through this strangely eerie, foggy day.

"Hey! Butch! Ya sure that Hook guy is made up?", One of them asks the other.

"Oh come on now. Don't tell me ya believe that crap! I didn't take ya for a scaredy cat!", Butch snickers while the one that asked scowls.

"Hey! I ain't scared! I'm just been wondering though, what is happening to all those disappearing ships?"

"Eh, probably trying to rally themselves up to go against the lords. Fools they are! They forget that Devil's Crown is a massive fortress that has stood against everything for 300 years! We are safe here, ya hear me."