Part VII

"Nice to know dad didn't forget me." Five joked, turning away from his portrait above the fireplace to face Vanya who had just entered the room. The girl glanced at Y/N's sleeping figure on the couch before she looked up at her brother.

"I suggested she should rest. Had a hard time getting her to fall asleep," Five began explaining, "she had trouble dealing with the... reflections.". Vanya nodded, her eyes darting over to the woman in question once again.

"Read your book by the way. Found it in a library that was still standing." Five stated, trying to break Vanya's silence. She appeared panicked when he mentioned it, and so he quickly added on as he began strutting around the room, observing the changes in it since he'd left.

"I thought it was pretty good, all things considered." he admitted. Vanya smiled a bit before he continued.

"Yeah, definitely ballsy, giving up the family secrets. Sure that went over well." he remarked, and her face fell.

"They hate me..." she whispered.

Five turned to look at the woman who was fast asleep on the couch, his sister followed his gaze. "All of them?" he pried. Vanya paused at that.

"Most of them." she corrected. "She and Ben were supposed to hate me the most but they don't... and it just makes me feel even worse.".

"They were always the best of us." Five nodded along before taking a seat on the couch opposite the one Y/N lay on. He patted the space next to him, inviting Vanya to sit down.

"I don't hate you, Vanya." the boy softly muttered, allowing himself to go soft for just a moment in an attempt to comfort his obviously devastated sister. His admission made the tenseness in her shoulders melt away and a gentle grin overtook her features.

A comfortable silence enveloped the siblings. They relished the quiet moment, just enjoying being reunited with each other after decades apart. They had shared one of the closest bonds as children, relying on each other for support. When they'd been ripped away from each other, they crumbled.

"Guys?" Ben's voice floated across the room. Five and Vanya's eyes shot to the door of the living room where he stood. "It's time for dad's memorial, if you two could just make your way to the courtyard.".

The pair sat on the couch nodded and stood, giving Ben tight lipped smiles as they walked past him and to the old courtyard where the service was to be held. 

Number Six watched them leave before he turned to rest his gaze upon his sleeping girlfriend. She looked so at peace. So truly content. So beautiful. He didn't want to wake her up, but she had a right to say one final goodbye to the old man as much as the Hargreeves siblings did.

He took a few long strides to reach her and knelt down, tilting his head and smiling as he witnessed the steady rise and fall of her chest.

"Y/N, wake up, honey." He uttered in a soft voice, pressing a kiss to her forehead.

Her eyes fluttered upon and she returned the gesture by placing a gentle peck on his cheek. He chuckled at her sleepy actions and helped her sit up.

"Is it time?" She asked after a beat of silence. Ben nodded.

Taking his outstretched hand, Y/N stood and leaned into his embrace for a few seconds. Rain drummed softly against the glass windows, and the crackling fire mingled with it to produce a cosy ambience. How she wished they could stay like this a little longer.

However, it wasn't a day of relaxation. So the two begrudgingly collected black umbrellas from the coat hangers in the entrance hall and proceeded to join Ben's siblings outside.