Chapter 23

Adam paced the hallway leading to his fathers’ hospital room. The man had suffered a major stroke and still hadn’t awoken. He heard the clatter of feet and arguing behind him. Turning he saw his sister Amelia appear flanked by the entire Jonas clan. Even Nicole was here.

“There is no reason for me to be here!” Amelia shouted glaring at everyone in the hallway. “He’s not my father!”

“Thanks for bringing her here,” Adam said nodding to her brothers. “Why didn’t you answer my phone calls?”

“I don’t want to be here Adam. You know how I feel about hospitals!”

“Our dad is in there in a coma!” She hesitated before continuing on.

“He’s YOUR dad! Remember? I’m the product of an affair his wife had. He doesn’t want me here.”

“Amelia?” a small voice called out. Her family parted so that a woman Amelia’s age came into view. “What are you doing back here?”

“Charlie?” Amelia asked.

“My meds aren’t working as well as they should. I’m back here so they can fine tune things,” the girl in the hospital gown said. “I saw you in the news. I didn’t believe it until I saw the whole Jonas clan here. I guess this explains all those daddy issues you brought up in group therapy.”

“Therapy is supposed to be private Charlie.” Charlie giggled and smiled towards the crowd.

“Oooops! I guess you can’t expect any better from the mental patient,” she said before walking down the hall away from them all.

“Therapy?” Paul asked looking at his daughter. “Why were you in therapy?”

"That's none of your business."

"I'm your father so it is my business."

"Let's just stop right there. Blood or not I'm not a Jonas. You never raised me at all. I didn't get to live the privileged life like the rest of you."

"Amelia let's go see dad," Adam said pulling on her arm.

"I'm not a Cooper either," she said pulling her arm free. "The man lying in that hospital bed never wanted me. He only pitied me."

"Sis I know he loved you," Nick said. "He raised you when he didn't have to. He loves you."

"You know all about love don't you Nicholas? Let's see just where love has gotten you shall we?" Amelia advanced on her brother. "You loved Selena so much that you destroyed your relationship wirh your anger. There's no going back for the two of you. I hope you enjoy dating a woman who's in love with your own brother."

"Are you done yet Lia? Are you done trying to make us all feel bad?!?" Joe yelled at her as she began to leave.

"I don't expect you to understand my life Joe. You want to know why I ended up in the mental ward of this hospital?" Amelia turned revealing tear streaked eyes. "I fell in love. And I thought that I was mature enough to express that love physically. It tore me apart instead. I wasn't ready for the consequences of my actions. There was never anyone there to stop me from making the wrong choice. I loved him, but he didn't love me enough." With that she turned and ran.

"Let her go," Paul said preventing Kevin from running after her.

"Dad?" Kevin asked.

"She needs her space now. She's been through more than you could ever imagine."

"You knew?" Kevin asked. Paul looked over meeting Adam's gaze as he answered.

"I only know a small piece of the puzzle. Your sister has a lot of people protecting her." Adam marched away into his father's room.

[AN: Well that went.....poorly.]