Chapter 16

“I can’t believe it! You were totally right! No one has said a thing to us,” Selena said. Amelia laughed at the giddy smile on her face.

“I told you we would be left alone here,” Amelia said. “Everyone likes to stay out of each other’s business.” They had come to the diner next to her old apartment building for a quiet lunch. Ever since the concert Amelia had been swarmed by both the press and some new fans. It was nice to get away with a friend. Later on tonight her whole family was getting together for a family dinner. Even her brother Adam, his wife, and their daughters were coming. She finally had the family that she had always wanted.

“So Miss Amelia Jonas, are you enjoying the life of a big sister?” Selena asked.

“It’s kind of cool actually. The guys even come to me for advice sometimes. Nick and I were talking last night about all of his past relationships.” Selena wanted to ask what he had said about her, but she held back. “He even told me about the girl he has a crush on right now.”

“He’s just trying to get you to talk about David. You know that right?”

“You aren’t going to ask me who he has a crush on?”

“You’re not worried that your little brother is actively working with your ex to get you two back together?” Both women stared at one another for several minutes before Selena finally cracked. [AN: My sister and I do this all the time. She usually gives in first. ;)]

“It’s Nicole right?” Selena asked as she picked at her fries. “He’s in love with her.” Amelia opened her mouth to answer, but was interrupted by a shrill voice.

“AMELIA! AMELIA, just when in the HELL were you going to tell me that you moved in with that family?!? I NEVER gave you permission to do something like that!!” the voice shrieked. Selena turned to see Amelia’s mother rushing into the diner. She had only met Amelia’s mom twice, but she knew the woman was not one of her fans.

“What are you doing here mom?” Amelia snapped. Selena looked at her in surprise. Amelia had always been a big pushover when it came to her mom. 

“I came to set your priorities straight young lady,” her mother screeched. [AN: My mother has actually said this to me before.] “Why am I just hearing about this now?”

“I am a grown woman. I can move anywhere I want.”

“I am your mother! I have a right to know what is going on with you!”

“Oh please! You’re just mad that none of this is benefitting you. It’s always about you, but this time it has to be about me. I’m getting to know my father. It has nothing to do with you.”

“Amelia, I’m just concerned for you.”

“You’re concerned? Is that why you moved us away when my dad and Denise wanted to adopt me? Is that why you hid their every attempt to contact me? Tell me mom, why did you finally tell me about my biological father?” Selena watched enthralled. She wanted to hear the answer to Amelia’s question as much as anyone else. Tears sprang to her mother’s eyes. As an actress Selena knew when someone was faking it, and these were real.

“Your father, I mean Chris, forgot your birthday again. You said it didn’t bother you, but I knew you were lying. Then I got another letter from Paul. For you. I just wanted you to have a father that would be there. Even if you ended up hating me in the end.” Selena watched a look of pity cross Amelia’s face before she blinked it away.

“No. You don’t get to just pick up the mother role whenever you feel like it. Why don’t you just get back to what you do best; finding rich husbands.”

“Amelia,” Selena said. “Give her a chance.”

“No,” Amelia said quietly. “She already had her chance.” Selena watched as Amelia’s mother left the diner with tears in her eyes.

“Amelia, how can you be like that?” Selena asked. Amelia sighed and began to pick at the food in front of her.

“Sel, you know better than anyone what I went through. When I was in the hospital they called her. She refused to come. She was on a cruise with her current husband. I lost everything, and my mother was too busy for me.” Amelia gave her a weak smile. “Now don’t you want to know who Nick’s crush is?” Selena nodded no and quickly changed the subject. Suddenly, she didn’t want to know if Nick liked her or not. If she ended up losing everything, she wasn’t sure she would still be strong enough to continue on like Amelia had.

[AN: This chapter was way more intense than I thought it would be.]