Chapter 2

She wondered why her mother had called her out to lunch. Mom never really called her for anything. She was on husband number three and the sight of a twenty something child apparently made her feel old. Despite her mother’s selfishness Amelia always came when called. Maybe she was hoping that her mother would finally become the mom she always wished she could be. Although this dysfunctional relationship was still much better than the one she maintained with her dad. As the years passed he was less and less interested in her. Once a year he called on what he thought was her birthday to pass on his best wishes but nothing more. She never corrected him about her birthday because she was afraid the calls would stop entirely.

“Amelia over here! I want you to meet someone!” her mother called out from inside the restaurant. Amelia looked over to see her mother sitting next to a middle aged man that looked remarkably familiar to her for some reason. She wondered if her mom was already hunting for husband number four. With a sigh she joined them at the table.

“I’m here mom. What do you want? I only have half an hour left for lunch,” Amelia said ignoring the random man at the table. She wasn’t in the mood for her mother’s theatrics today.

“Fine. There’s something I want to tell you about my past. About my marriage with the guy you call dad,” her mother nervously started. “You know that I wasn’t happy in that marriage. I did the weak thing and instead of fighting for my marriage I turned to someone else.”

“Good one mom. What are you trying to tell me? Is this guy my real father?” Amelia joked. Her laughter died as her mother exchanged suspicious glances with the man next to her. “Oh my God. This guy is my real father?” Suddenly she realized why he looked so familiar. She saw the same face every time she looked into a mirror.

“My name’s Paul,” the man said reaching out a hand that she ignored. “I’m so excited to meet you. I’m hoping we can get to know one another before I introduce you to the rest of the family.”

“The rest of the family?” Amelia asked as her eyes widened.

“I’m married to a wonderful woman. We have four sons together. One of them is married to the sweetest young woman,” he rambled on.

“I already have a brother. I don’t need another family,” Amelia said standing up from the table. “Thanks but no thanks.” She turned to leave but her mother stood and shoved her back into her chair.

“Sit and listen Amelia,” her mother said. “I know I’ve done a lot wrong in regards to you, but that’s no reason to punish Paul here. I was the one who kept him from you. So if you want to hate someone then hate me. But give him a chance please?”

“So tell me more about this family,” Amelia sighed. Paul smiled.

“Your brothers are actually quite famous. I just want to prepare you for that. I told them all about you, and they’re excited to meet you. I thought we could all go to dinner together,” Paul said.

“What do you mean they’re famous?” Amelia asked.

“Well,” Paul replied, “They’re the Jonas brothers.”

“Crap,” Amelia said putting her head on the table. “This is just perfect.”