Chapter 7

“Mee Mee! Auntie Mee Mee! Who are they?” a tiny voice called out. Amelia knew the others wanted to question why she had so readily agreed to Nick’s suggestion. She had no idea why she had said yes herself. She turned to address her nieces who ran up and hugged her legs.

“Well Molly, they are my….that is…how do I put this?” Amelia stuttered.

“We’re her brothers,” Nick said interrupting her rambling. Amelia flashed him a look of annoyance, but Nick continued talking. “My name is Nick.”

“You’re not Mee Mee’s brothers. Her brother is daddy,” the little girl that Amelia had called Molly firmly stated.

“Yeah! You’re just those boys from Mee Mee’s favorite show,” the second little girl cried out.

“Clara,” Amelia admonished the second girl. “Don’t tell them that.” Everyone around them laughed at the little girl’s comment. It seemed that their sister might actually be a closet Jonas fan.

“You know it’s true,” Clara said. She grabbed Nick’s hand and tugged him towards the hallway of the apartment. “Come on! I’ll show you where she keeps her recordings of every show! Whenever we visit Mee Mee, we watch Jonas L.A.” Molly followed her sister and Nick as they disappeared.

“Are you really dating that Macy girl?” they all heard Molly ask.

“They’re just as outspoken as their Aunt,” Adam said in between chuckles. Amelia silently fumed as everyone else laughed.

“So are you really going to move in with us?” Frankie asked as the laughter died down. Everyone turned to look at Amelia.

“Maybe just as a trial run,” Amelia said. She hesitated for a moment. “I’d like to get to know you guys. And –---- Dad. Would that be okay with you?”

“Of course it would! I have plenty of older brothers, but no older sister. Do you do the same things as older brothers do?”

“I honestly don’t know. I’ve never been an older sister before. I was always the baby of my family. Kind of like you.” Frankie flashed her a genuine smile. Amelia began to relax in front of her newfound family. She stood nervously unsure of what to say next.

“Maybe we should go rescue Nick,” Dani said gesturing down the hall. With a quick nod she led them all to the living area where Nick was playing with the girls. They spent most of the afternoon just talking and laughing. Amelia smiled to herself as she gathered snacks in the kitchen. For the first time in a long time she felt like she was part of a real family.

“We need to talk,” a voice said from the entry to the kitchen. She looked up to see Joe glaring at her. This couldn’t be good.

“Talk then,” Amelia said.

“My brothers are just being nice. We don’t want or need another Jonas sibling let alone a sister. I’ll prove that this is just some crazy scheme you thought up with your mom to get your hands on our money. And once I do that you’ll be gone for good.”

“Why are you so against me being your sister?” Joe looked down for a moment before meeting her eyes. She saw fear behind the anger in his gaze.

“Because if you are my sister then that means my parents aren’t who I always thought they were.” After speaking he marched off leaving her alone in the kitchen with her thoughts. Joe was coming to the same realization that Amelia had come to years ago. He was learning that his parents were human. That they made mistakes. He just wasn’t ready to face the truth yet. She looked up at the framed family photo that hung on the wall. It was the last happy photo her family ever took before her parents divorced. She wondered to herself if she was the reason behind her mom and the man she thought was her father’s split. She shook the thought from her head. Like Joe she just wasn’t ready to face the truth.

[AN: I really wish I knew how to make videos instead of using the youtube free videos. I’m still not quite sure where this story is going.]