Chapter 10: Who Is That?

--------------------------------------
(Jonathan P.O.V.)

"Jonathan, we are going to be late!" Thomas screamed at me.

"Alright, I'll be right down!"

I thought again of the night he finally kissed me. I wasn't even expecting it. He grabbed the sides of my head and pulled me in. at first I didn't know what to do, but then I just let it happen. just thinking about it made me giddy.

Today was the first day we would be going to work together. Thomas decided he was finally ready. It's now been about 7 weeks since the accident, 3 of which I've been knocked out. my leg is in a bright red cast and Thomas's ankle is out of its brace.

"Jonathan, let's go!"

I forgot about having to leave while I was thinking.

"Im coming!" I screamed down the stairs.

I walked back into my room and grabbed my shoes then hurried down the stairs Thomas was already in the truck, waiting impatiently for me.

"Alright, let's go," I said.

"Did you remember your clerk's card?"

"Yes it's right here now let's go. you said you didn't want to be late."

He shifted the truck into reverse and backed into the street.

"Did the insurance pay for your last truck?" I asked.

"Yeah the money will be coming in today. They are mailing it in."

We arrived at the mall and Thomas parked the truck, "Hurry, we have 2 minutes to be there."

I had put my shoes on the truck so I was ready to go. We bailed out of the truck and took off for the back entrance since the mall wasn't open yet.

"It's about time you two showed up." Matthew said, glaring at us.

"Sorry, I woke up a little late," I explained.

"It's okay since you made it on time. Just try to be a little earlier next time. You need to turn on the lights and the music. When the mall opens, you need to open the chain door up front. Thomas show him the ropes."

"Will do sir," he replied.

I watched as Thomas followed Matthew's list ever so carefully. Lights. Music. Restock. Boot up the register. Get money to fill the till. Lock the safe. Set the silent alarm. There were so many things to do that I finally lost concentration. That seemed to happen a lot. I guess Thomas was used to it by now because he gave me a light shake to wake me up from my daydream.

When the bell sounded, letting the shop owners know that the mall was opening, Thomas jogged up to the front to open the garage-door like chain door.

"Alright, Jonathan, now starts your first day."

"Yippie!" I said a little sarcastically.

"Aw, come on man, you don't know how fun it is."

"Okay, I'll lighten up for you, but only for you."

I watched as he blushed then helped the customer that had walked in within the first few minutes of the mall opening. I didn't know what to do so I just stood there, looking like a doofus.

"Is that all I can help you with today ma'am," Thomas asked the customer.

"No, that will be all, thank you."

"Please come again."

"I have no idea what to do, Thomas," I confessed.

"All you have to do is be friendly to the customer. Here watch me," He said as another customer walked into the store.

"Hello," said the young teen.

"Hello, welcome to Teen Scene, how may I help you?"

"I'm just looking around. I'll let you know if I need any help," The teen answered.

"Okay."

"See I could never do that," I whispered to Thomas.

"Sure you can you just have to try."

"But what if I come off as awkward?"

"Trust me you wont," He reassured.

"Thank you! Come again!" Thomas politely said to the leaving customer.

"Do I really have to be that friendly to everyone?"

"Yeah, kinda. look here comes another customer. Just try. I got your back in case you slip up, but you probably won't."

"Alright, I'll try."

I walked over to the customer very cautiously and almost whispered, "How can I help you today?"

That didn't seem right. I'm not the shy type. I don't think Thomas likes the shy type. I cleared my throat and repeated in a more confident tone, "How may I help you today?"

"Oh! Uhm," The girl twirled around and dropped her bags. I stooped down to help her pick them up.

"I'm sorry if I scared you." I rook a good look at the girl. she was wearing the same type of black skinny jeans as Thomas and I, she had on a plain black shirt, a studded belt with a broken heart buckle, a wallet chain, and arm sleeves. I looked up at her hair, jet black with red highlights. Beautiful. She had deep, dark, brown eyes. She was pretty skinny and beautiful. Any guy lucky enough to have her, I respected.

"Anyway, how can I help you?"

"Oh, I was just looking around. do you know a kid named Thomas that works here?"

"Umm, yeah," I said a little cautiously, "He's up at the register."

I followed the girl up to the check-out desk.

"Hey, Thomas!" she exclaimed.

Thomas spun around quickly and gave the girl a puzzled look, "Caroline?"

"Haha, how did you not recognize me before, silly?"