Chapter 3: The Kid

--------------------

Thomas's P.O.V.

I woke up early from my bed in the hotel room. It wasn't the fanciest room. It had simple sheets and simple beige curtains that didn't match the sheets. It was a poor little room but I needed somewhere to sleep for the night. I wasn't a bad little room. you could tell that the maids spent a lot of time cleaning each room. Wherever there was metal, it shined brightly. The fabrics in the room smelled crisp and clean.

I rose out of bed after admiring the quaint little room and went into the bathroom to get ready for the day. I took a warm shower and put on comfortable clothes for I knew I would be driving home today.

I finished packing and grabbed my luggage, phone, and keys and headed down to the front desk.

"Good morning sir!" Said the desk attendant, "Did you enjoy your stay?"

"Yes, It was lovely," I replied, still trying to shake the tiredness out of my eyes.

" Alright, you are all set to go, please come again soon"

I don't know what it was about the attendant that made feel at ease.

I continued to walk out to my green, 1972 Ford pickup truck.

I got in and started her up. I loved the rumble of these old engines. I couldn't bear the thought of losing this truck so I had saved up money to fix her up when she broke down. I put the old girl in reverse and backed her up. I was setting out on my long journey home.

-------------------

After driving awhile, I decided I needed a rest and took a stop at the nearest rest stop. I got out to stretch my legs and buy a couple snacks.

I sat there on the bench, watching the children laugh and scream with joy as they chased each other around on the playground built out behind the main building.

After I finished my Twinkies and trail mix, I started back for my old truck. I started her up and sat there just listening to the rumble of the old engine. It sputtered every now and then but that was okay. It was one of the few things I liked about it.

I started down the road and saw someone lying in the grass on the side of the road. I looked like they were having trouble so I stopped to help them. I got out and gently shook them awake. They looked up with fear in their eyes which quickly changed to comfort. he kept staring into my eyes in awe.

"Are you okay, son?" I asked. I don't know why I called him son. he wasn't much older than I.

"Yes, I'm alright," He replied, "At least I think I am."

"Please come with me I will take you to the city," I pleaded.

"Thank you sir"

I helped him up and he started for the truck.

I reached the truck, expecting him to follow close behind. When I turned around to look for him, I saw him on the ground again. I rushed to him and ran the basic first aid I knew.

His pulse was fine and I concluded that he had just passed out. I loaded him in the truck and set off for the house.

-------------------

After I put him into the bed upstairs, I went into my study to write. I wrote about how I found him. I wrote about how his eyes looked up at me and the feeling I saw inside. I also wrote a note for him in the morning. I wrote down another thing on a slip of paper and put it in my desk drawer. He couldn't know what I wrote down so I locked the desk.

-------------------

The next morning I set off in the truck for the market and bought some things for breakfast that morning. Tortillas. Sausage. Eggs. Milk. Bacon. Ham. Potatoes.

After I checked out, I hopped back into the old, green Ford an set off for the house.

When I arrived, he was up and looking throughout the house.

"Well I'm glad to see you're okay." I think I may have startled him. he seemed to be deep in thought when I walked in.

"I-I guess I'm feeling a little better," he stammered.

It was okay, considering I probably just scared him.

I thought I should introduce myself. "Well I should probably introduce myself. I'm Thomas"

I put out my hand, offering a handshake.

He took it and replied, "Thank you for letting me stay here, I really appreciate it man."

"No problem. Why don't you join me on the back porch for breakfast?" I offered. I couldn't tell him just yet. he still has a lot to figure out. I just found him with amnesia yesterday. I need to let him find out on his own.

"I think I shall. What are we having?"

"I thought I might prepare some breakfast burritos, that is, if it's okay with you."

I could tell that he couldn't remember much about them. "Sure, sounds fine to me," he replied.

We sat on the back porch, enjoying our delicious burritos. He sat there taking in his surroundings. It was an awkward silence but I could tell he was deep in thought, so I dare not speak.

"The only clues I have yet to find are the name, Caroline, the music, and the phone," he said, breaking the silence.

"I grabbed your backpack when I picked you up. Maybe you could look through it now that you are not in the middle of the wilderness."

"Maybe I could," he said.

There was another long silence as he took in his surroundings again. He asked about the tier and the town across the river. He asked about our market as well.

"I think I should go lay down again, this headache is killing me."

"Yes, that might be a good idea. You need to get some rest."

I still couldn't tell him. I would have to wait for him to figure it out on his own.