Chapter 9: Life Or Death

--------------------------------------

(Jonathan's P.O.V.)

I awoke in the hospital bed, but could not move. I looked over to my left as much as possible. I tried speaking. Nothing but grunts and groans. I looked over to my left. Thomas.

"Thomas," I moaned, barely audible.

He looked at me in awe. I must have been out awhile to get that kind of expression.

"Wait just a second, Jonathan, let me go get a nurse." He rushed out as quickly as he could, practically screaming for a nurse.

They returned shortly with another man as well. I guess he was my doctor.

"Jonathan, are you okay? Can you speak at all?" The doctor questioned.

I managed to whisper, "I can't talk very well and my leg hurts very badly."

I tried looking down to my leg but couldn't move my head. I finally realized that I was in a neck cast.

"Thomas? May I speak with you outside for a moment," the doctor asked.

Even though they went outside, I could still hear them. and what I heard wasn't very good.

"He may never be the same. he took a good hit to the vocal chords and his windpipe. We managed to reconstruct the windpipe but there's not much we can do for the vocal chords."

"So are you saying he won't be able to talk again?"

"He may make a recovery it's really hard to tell at this point. His leg is also fractured in two places and broken in one."

"When will I be able to take him back home?"

"You could take him home now but you would have to follow very specific orders."

"I will; what are they?"

"First of all you need to....

I stopped listening after awhile. I didn't notice I was about to cry until it was too late.

"And you need to take these pills for the pain of your cracked ribs, Thomas"

When Thomas walked back into the room I motioned him over.

"How long was I out?" I asked.

"You were out for about 3 weeks. I was beginning to think you wouldn't wake up."

He started crying a little. I took his hand into mine.

"Thomas, don't cry over me. I'm still the same person with the same personality; I'm just gonna look a little different for a little while. I promise we can still go on our stupid, crazy adventures together. Not much is going to change forever."

"I can't help but think I could have prevented all this."

"Look it doesn't matter now. all that matters is that we heal up and get right back to it."

"You're right, Jonathan. Let me go get a nurse so we can get you home."

"Could you hand me the phone first please; I want to call someone"

"Okay," he says as he pick up the phone, "Here you go. I'll be right back."

I quickly dial the number of someone I met on my outings with Thomas.

"Hello?" The voice inquires.

"Hey, I need that favor I was talking to you about a couple weeks ago. How fast can you get it to the hospital?"

"I can get it there in about an hour."

"That will be fine. Thank you. Goodbye."

Thomas and the nurse arrived shortly after I hung up the phone. I think Thomas knew better than to question who I was calling.

"Alright, Jonathan, we are going to get you home soon," the nurse said cheerfully.

They carefully slid me out of the bed and placed me in a wheelchair. A wheelchair. I started crying.

"Jonathan what's wrong?" The nurse asked.

"Nothing. I'm fine," I wiped my eyes and tried to hold back the tears. "I am hungry though. Thomas, can we go get something to eat?"

"Sure lets go down to the cafeteria and see what there is"

"Sounds good"

We went to the elevator and dropped to the first floor. The cafeteria was enormous. But then again, the entire hospital was huge. I looked out the window.

"No, still not there," I whispered to myself.

"Why did you say, Jonathan?"

"Nothing just talking to myself" I decided to keep quite or he might get suspicious.

"Alright, what do you want?"

I surveyed my options carefully. Cheeseburgers. Salisbury steak. Chicken-Fried steak. The list kept going. I eventually chose a simple sandwich. I wasn't really that hungry; just stalling for time.

I must have missed Thomas talking, because soon I saw his hand waving in front of my face.

"....And you aren't even listening."

"Sorry I was just thinking," I replied.

"I was just explaining what the doctor said."

"What did he say?

"He said that you fractured your leg in two places and brick it in one and your vocal chords need to heal. I think he said it was just laryngitis. I think you will be fine after a couple days."

I looked out the window and saw it sitting out there.

"Are you ready to go?" I asked Thomas.

"I'm ready to go if you are up for it," he replied.

We walked outside and I watched his face for a, hopefully, priceless expression.

"Jonathan.... Did you get this for me?" Thomas asked.

"Yeah it's just a little thank you gift."

We sat there looking at the beautifully restored, red, 1972 Ford pickup.

"It took some hunting down, but I found one for you. It was supposed to be one you could use for parts but now you can have it as a replacement. It's the same make and model as your old one." I explained.

"Jonathan.... I don't know what to say other than thank you."

He gave me a hug and I blushed a little. "Can we go home now? I'm kinda tired."

"Yes. yes we can."

He pulled the truck up closer to the curb so we didn't have to go as far. I managed to wheel myself over to the truck, where Thomas helped me in.
--------------------------------------
"So how did you manage not to get hurt," I ask.

"I did get hurt. I cracked a couple of my ribs and sprained my ankle." He lifted up his pant leg to reveal an ankle brace.

"I'm sorry. Are you okay?"

"I should be asking you that. You were the one out for 3 weeks."

We both have an airy chuckle and the room fell silent. I thought o the ride home. Thomas seemed to like the new car, but I could tell he longed for the other. I didn't know what to say, so the entire ride home was filled with the noise of the road.

"You never answered my question Thomas."

He stayed silent.

"And there's no car for you to wreck to avoid it," I laughed.

Before I knew it, my lips were against his. I savored the moment.

He pulled back,"Does that answer your question?"