ii

AS I WAS UNPACKING, I FELT a hand on my shoulder. I turned around to see who it was only to be met with Jeremiah's eyes. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to be here, but the whole thing with Conrad stung more than I'd like to admit. Jere ditching me to help Belly didn't exactly help making me feel better.

I've been telling myself that it isn't my fault. Jeremiah said it himself: Conrad has been acting weird all year. But it wasn't like that last summer.

Last summer we'd laugh about the stupidest things and go out surfing when it was dark outside. We'd tell eachother everything that had happened in between summers and trip eachother on the beach.

What was different now? I'd try to figure out what changed, but I didn't feel like ruining my summer over one single person.

"Oli, someone invited me to the first bonfire of the summer. We should totally go!" Belly said excitedly.

I loved seeing my best friend this happy. It's like summer is the best thing that could ever happen to her, which is probably true. We both know that this beach house has saved us, Cousins really is our home.

"Well sure, I guess." I answered a bit surprised. "We just arrived and you're already getting every boy's attention. Go you, Bells!" I teased.

Belly started blushing and muttered a quick "Shut up." before going downstairs. I yelled at her to wait up for me, since I didn't feel like unpacking anymore.

Even if she wasn't planning on doing something interesting, we could still swim or go to the beach together. I closed my door, but when I turned around, I bumped into someone.

"Oh shit, sorry." I immediately apologized.

These guys might be my best friends, but they would definitely throw me in the pool for every minor thing I do wrong.

I looked up to see who I bumped into and was met with Conrad already staring at me. I didn't think he had grown that much, but I'm pretty sure I didn't have tilt my head that much just to see his face last summer.

Conrad cleared his throat and awkwardly stepped around me to get to the bathroom.

"Don't worry about it." he muttered before opening the door.

I got that weird feeling again when I heard his voice and I cursed myself mentally. Come on, man. He's being such a dick and I'm still crushing on him like a middle schooler.

I was about to walk downstairs when I remembered I hadn't put on my bikini yet. I entered my room and opened my suitcase to find a decent bikini.

As I was rummaging through my suitcase I heard the bathroom door open and close and I heard footsteps coming my way.

"Liv." I heard. If I didn't know Conrad was at my door I probably wouldn't have heard him, he was basically whispering.

I have never felt this uncomfortable with him before, but I figured it'd be best if I didn't ignore him. I picked the first bikini I could find and turned around to talk to Conrad.

"Hi, Conrad." I answered, almost as quiet as him. I could see on his face he found this as painfully awkward as me.

Some people say Conrad is almost unreadable. They say he's way too closed off and never shows his emotions. But I knew better. Ever since we were kids, we've been able to read eachother's emotions and facial expressions without trying. Later on, we found out it could be a big disadvantage too.

He still hadn't said anything back, and since I could not endure another minute of this silence, I asked him the question I've probably asked him a million times before.

"Wanna go surfing?"

He nodded, and the tiniest smile played on his lips. I wonder if he knows I can see that tiny smile. Maybe he doesn't even realize it's there. Either way, I'm happy to see it.

"I'm gonna go change then, meet me at the beach?" He asked, already walking to his room and opening the door.

I agreed and closed my door. I changed into my bikini and put on some sunscreen. It wasn't night yet, and if I didn't put on sunscreen I would look like a tomato in less than an hour.

Despite Conrad and me not being on the best terms, I was still excited to surf with him again. It wasn't like I was really angry with him, I just can't seem to figure out what's up with him and I've never had that problem before.

I went to grab my surfboard in the garage, where I ran into Steven. I snorted when I noticed the hickey's covering his neck. I have no idea who he's hooking up with already but good for him, I guess.

"Might want to cover your neck a bit, Steven." I said, laughing at his shocked expression when he noticed them too.

"Laugh all you want, at least I'm getting some, Olive." he muttered sarcastically before walking into the house.

He's been calling me Olive ever since my third grade boyfriend broke up with me because my name sounded too much like Olive. I guess he didn't like olives, and Steven still hadn't let it go.

"Conrad's already at the beach, by the way." Steven called over his shoulder.

Did Conrad tell him we were hanging out? Why would he tell Steven we were going surfing together?

I shook my head at my own thoughts. He was probably assuming I was hanging out with Conrad since I was standing here with a surfboard. Conrad is the only one I surf with, I guess. But only because Belly can't surf and I don't feel like surfing with her brother and Jeremiah alone.

I grabbed a towel from the closet and started walking to the beach. The sun was setting and I felt at peace. I never realize how stressed I am until I arrive here and feel all that weight lifted off my shoulders.

○○○

wow i haven't given up on this story yet, someone clap ! i know the story might be a bit boring rn, but i have to give them some sort of tension, right ?? anyways, next chapter is the beach hangout i hope u guys are as excited for it as i am !!

please vote and comment  !