𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐎𝐍𝐄 - A TOTAL THIRD WHEEL

Start from the beginning

Max flicked her forehead playfully, before continuing, "She's from Paradise Island, which is, like, this hidden island where there are only women Amazon warriors..."

•. ° . * .·. . ✧:. ·.

WHEN ONE WAKES UP IN A BED that isn't your own to the deafening sound of a frantic voice emanating from a shitty walkie-talkie, you tend to become quite panicked. At least that's how Rosie was, when the desperate pleas for somebody to answer reached her ears and she shot up in Max's bed, temporarily forgetting she and El had slept over the night before. She could've sworn her heart fell out of her ass, or something, however, her unease settled when she quickly realised it was just that goddamn walkie-talkie.

Rosie rubbed her eyes, watching as Max rolled her eyes and answered, releasing a firm, "Shut. Up."

She frowned, voice deep and crackly from sleep, "What did they want?"

"Don't know, don't care," Max murmured, finding a comfortable place in Rosie's arms as she closed her eyes.

Rosie would've fallen back to sleep too, lulled by the comfort of Max, if it hadn't been for a particularly loud ringing phone blaring throughout the bedroom. Rosie groaned to herself. Max didn't seem too keen to get out of bed, so taking one for the team, Rosie flopped off the mattress, stretching as she did so before she rushed over to the sunshine yellow phone and picked it up.

"Hey, we're trying to sleep right now, so if you could just call us back—?"

"Rosie? This is Mike. Do not hang up. Something happened, something bad. Our very lives can be at stake."

"Wait, what happened?" Rosie asked, suddenly very awake, "Is everyone okay?"

"Yes, just come over to my house," He responded urgently, "We'll explain everything."

"Are you sure everyone's okay—?"

"Yes! Just hurry." Rosie opened her mouth to speak again however she was stopped by the sudden dial tone. He hung up.

She placed the phone down, turning to meet the confused gazes of Max and El, who were both sitting upright.

"What did he say?"

•. ° . * .·. . ✧:. ·.

ROSIE HADN'T BEEN sure how to explain a cryptic message from El's ex-boyfriend, but she managed, her vague insistence that he sounded urgent eventually winning the two girls over. They all got dressed in a hurry, each of them silently worrying to themselves about what on Earth could warrant that much panic on their end, Rosie donning her new corduroy shorts.

The three of them clambered onto Max's bike (which, seemed to be getting smaller and smaller each time the trio rode on it) and they made a beeline for Mike's house on Maple street, none of them uttering a word.

As soon as they arrived, they were beckoned in by Mike, his pale face pensive, which didn't do anything to calm Rosie's nerves.

The atmosphere was slightly awkward in the basement, Rosie observed, but as they sat around a low table, it seemed to ease slightly. Will was the first to speak, the beginning of a long-overdue explanation, "I didn't think it was anything at first. I mean, I think I just didn't want to believe it. The first time I felt it was at Day of the Dead."

"Power went out that night, too," Mike added, and Will nodded.

Rosie felt her stomach curl in anticipation, sharing a look with Max. They both knew what was coming wasn't going to be sunshine and rainbows.