9 ~ The Splotching match

Start from the beginning

  "Thanks."

As expected, Fitz made it to the winners. So did Biana and Maruca. Even Jensi. Unfortunately, so did Stina.

  "Even a muskog could beat Dex," Stina sneered. "Let's see how you do against a real opponent." She tossed a bright blue splotcher at Sophie's head.

  Sophie caught it with her mind, floating it in the space between them.

"Isn't it funny that Stina actually thinks she stands a chance against my sister." I realised I'd used the term sister and stopped but then I noticed Sophie looked pleased so I smiled away.

  "I'm going to enjoy this," Stina sneered. "I'll aim for your eyes—finally turn them blue."

I gritted my teeth. I grabbed Jensi's arm, "Partners?"

"We'll I guess I'm dead." He said, I laughed. He was.

  "Get set!" Sir Caton called. "Splotch!"

I throw my hands out, pulling a bigger burst of strength from my gut as I shoved the splotcher.

  Splat!

  "Ow!" Stina screamed, rubbing her slimy blue cheek. My mind blasted the words, 'YES SOPHIE.'

  "Sorry," I told Jensi as he shrugged and dragged his hand down the green goop on his nose.

  "No reason to apologize," Lady Alexine corrected. "Well done, Iris. I haven't seen such raw telekinetic power in a long time."

I flushed. That was the first compliment Lady Alexine had ever given me.

  "But she hurt me!" I heard Stina argue to Sir Caton. "That disqualifies her, doesn't it?"

  "I didn't mean—" Sophie started to explain but Sir Caton held up his hands.

  "You didn't do anything wrong. If you're hurt, Miss Heks, go to the Healing Center. Either way, Sophie won fair and square."

I smirked and high fives Sophie as I walked up to her.

"As for you, Miss Foster and Ruewen," Lady Alexine added, "I think it might be a good idea to put you with the Level Threes so your opponents can match your mental strength." It happened every time and Lady Adeline acted as if I didn't realise it would happen. I knew I sounded cocky but, it was a talent of mine and I was proud of myself.

  "A Level Two, other than Iris, making it to the top ten," Keefe said behind her. He flashed a crooked smile. "And you said you weren't mysterious."

  Sophie stared at her feet to hide her blush. "Must be beginner's luck." It definitely 100% was not.

  Keefe snorted. "Or maybe you've got all kinds of talents we don't know about."

  "Look who went pale again. Interesting . . . ," he murmured.

  She opened her mouth to make some excuse, but he cut her off.

  "I have a feeling you'll be the one to take down the mighty Fitz."

"No, I'm afraid that'll be me." I say.

"You say that every time and look where we are today. How many times have you won?" Keefe said putting a hand to his ear.

"0" I mumble.