Chapter Twenty Four: Untold Secrets Part 2

Start from the beginning

I pursued her to the open gate of the convent but I didn't get to enter. I can't.

"What do you mean Emilia? Why do you call him a liar?'

"I wasn't going to tell you but maybe I should. I have already lost you so I guess I should be truthful about where you came from." I folded my hands into fists. Why si she doing this now? I asked her repeatedly. I asked her where I came from and she never said anything to me. Now she has something to say? "It was a Friday night at around 8pm? I was putting some of the orphans to bed. You know the routine, it's tiring. It was raining heavily and strangely cold. I left the orphanage to return here to the convent. It was at this very spot you're standing in that I saw her. This is where your mother was standing with a baby in her arms. She had covered you well so that you don't get wet from the rain. I asked her what she wanted and she said she wants to giv you away. She said she didn't want you."

"What?"

"I took you from her arms and as soon as I did, she told me your name is Vittoria. She left and she has never come back. I took you into the convent and took good care of you until you were old enough to go into the orphanage. I gave you my second name to complete you. You are very much a daughter to me. I taught you want everything you know. I taught you how to eat, how to write, how to speak, how to walk, how to do anything a child needs to learn and this is how you repay me?"

I covered my mouth and blinked over and over again to control my tears. I cannot believe this! She knew all along! She all along and yet she confined me to a life of struggles and poverty!

"You are selfish!" I screamed at her. "You lied to me over and over again!"

"What were you to be told when she didn't want you?"

"The truth! I deserved to know the truth! I had a right to it I ven if it was not going to change my circumstances! You kept that from me!"

"And so has Marcelle." She told me. "He came here asking about your parentage. I told him. From your reaction it looks like he hasn't told you anything. But I'm the liar you hate and he's the liar you love. I call that double standards."

"You lied to me for 25 years. I'm sure he will tell me when he's ready to have that conversation. That is the difference. The only reason you tell me this is to hurt me. It's to break my relationship with Marcelle. You have failed Emilia. What is my mother's name?"

"I don't know. She never said."

She turned her back at me but I grabbed her by the shoulder. "You had to have a name to tell Marcelle. Stop being spiteful! What is her name?'

"Why don't you wait for Marcelle to tell you since you trust him so much." She pushed me out of her way. "You and I are done. You are dead to me."

She closed the gate.

I didn't wait around anymore. The driver op Ned the door for me. I was settled in the back seat ready to leave this part of my life behind when a message came through.

Unknown:
Hello Vittoria.
Did you get my gift?

Me:
Who is this?

Unknown:
A man who wants you very much.
You slipped through my fingers once, but I'll have you soon.
Kisses chica. See you soon.

My heart isn't beating. I pressed my palm on my chest. Who is this man?

Me:
Stay away from me. I don't want you or your gifts.