Lainey wrapped her arms around her legs and rested her head on her knees.

"Not nearly long enough," she mumbled. "But I suppose I can't sleep forever."

He turned to her.

"Did you know him?"

". . . So you've heard."

"Did you know him?"

Lainey sighed.

"He was my ex-boyfriend."

Benjamin quietly cursed himself.

"Apparently there are still hostile dead walkers in town," he said.

Of course Benjamin had only heard the fabricated story of what happened to Eric. To be on the safe side, Lainey decided not to share with him what really happened the night before. At least for now.

"You have to be the strongest person I know," he continued. "Since I've been here . . . I've seen you lose so many people. I've seen you almost lose your mother." He sighed. "If I was human, I'd probably break down."

"Who says I don't" Lainey croaked. "Several times a night."

Benjamin smiled at her.

"Your heart beats at a steady pace all night. Sometimes you're even smiling-wonder what that's about."

Lainey's jaw dropped.

"You're in my room while I'm sleeping?" she asked, half-smiling. "What-how long have you been watching me sleep?"

Benjamin grinned.

"Long enough to know you sleep walk."

Lainey's smile quickly faded.

"What?"

"Relax, I'm kidding. But you do talk in your sleep."

"Really? Well . . . what do I say?"

Benjamin sighed as he thought about it.

"Well, most of the time the things you say are incomprehensible." He chuckled. "One time you did kind of yell 'The beaver's watching TV. Leave it alone."

Lainey burst out in laughter.

"I did not!"

"Yes, you did."

"My God," Lainey squeaked, hiding her face in her hands.

"Then there was one time . . . ," he started quietly. Lainey looked up to see a distant look in his eyes. "One time you said 'If you go, don't come back.' It . . . it reminded me of the last thing Mother said to me."

Lainey gasped. And up until that moment, she didn't realize how little she knew of Benjamin's past.

About his family.

"I-I'm . . . sorry," she said.

Benjamin shook his head.

"I don't want to start off our special day like this." He sighed. "That is, if you still want to have our special day . . . thing. I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't, considering-"

"No, I do!" Lainey interrupted. jumping out of bed. She cleared her throat. "I-I mean I . . . I do. In fact, I feel I need this."

Benjamin smiled.

"Well, alright. Then . . . should I come back in about an hour?"

"Two hours."

"Two hours it is."