Chapter 13

"What happened?" Ann came home tiredly, only to see no one waiting for her at the dinner table. Martha was the only one who greeted her.

"I have no idea, but the food is getting cold. I made your favorite." she answered, trying to cheer the woman up. "Thank you, but I need to see Viola, something is not alright." Ann took off her hat and coat, hanging it up by the door.

"I will be back in a minute." she yelled back over her shoulder, already halfway up the stair, taking two steps at the same time.

Opening the office, she saw no one, even the secret passage was closed. That meant they were either in the garden or the bedroom. As she was already upstairs, she went to their conjoined bedroom, softly knocking before entering.

Viola was sitting at her dressing table, holding her head, while Poppy just stared out the huge windows, not moving.

"I am home." the woman announced, closing the door behind her. "Why is everyone so...quiet?" Ann never liked when people were nonstop talking, this included Poppy's chitchatting, but now she somehow missed the girl jumping in her neck, asking thousands of questions and blabbering about her day.

"We have a problem, cousin." Viola had bags under her eyes.

"What is it?" she took a seat on the bed, glancing at Poppy who was still standing stiffly, not saying a word. "I was careless... Miss Emma saw me and Poppy together..." she whispered, pinching her nose feeling the headache attacking again.

"How could she see?" Ann demanded standing up from the bed. "I thought you said we need to be careful?"

"She probably saw us through the keyhole." Viola snapped. "Did she say something? Or how do you even know she saw you?" Ann started to pace.

"Miss Emma told me." came Poppy's quiet voice. "And what else did she say? Is she gonna tell someone?" Ann wanted answers quickly.

"I-I don't remember." the girl seemed confused, her mind still lingering on the forceful kiss. She had not tell the other women about that.

"Should I-?" the two cousins glanced at each other, Viola knowing exactly what the younger woman was thinking off. "I don't think there will be any need for such drastic action, Ann." she muttered, her mind immediately going to their weaponry.

"Then we will ask her about her plans at the dinner..." Ann was already halfway to Emma's door, knocking harshly. "Dinner in five minutes!" she yelled. She waited for a few minutes, but no answer came.

Opening the door in a rather violent manner, the redhead woman stepped inside, looking for the brown-haired girl. "She is not here." Ann turned around meeting Viola and Poppy's worried gaze.

"Then where could she be?" the females were growing nervous by every second.

~*~

Thanks to Felix, who was coming home from the fields, they received the news that Emma was sitting near their small pond, not willing to come in yet. They figured the girl only needed some time alone, so they ate dinner quietly, just the three of them.

As Martha had already left, Poppy started to do the dishes, soaking her hands in the warm, soapy water. She started with the cups first, carefully washing the rim, while holding onto them strongly, not wanting to break the Mistress's fine crystal glasses.

"I want to apologize for my behavior." came Emma's sudden voice from the doorway, making the girl drop the crystal on the ground.

The sound of glass shattering, made the brown-haired girl jump, rushing to Poppy worriedly. "Did you cut yourself?"

"N-No." she stared blankly at her Mistress's favorite and most expensive glass, which was now in pieces laying across the kitchen floor.

Viola is going to be angry.

"I am sorry." Emma said pitifully, grabbing the broom from the small cast, starting to sweep the pieces into one big pile.

"You kissed me without my permission. You hurt me on purpose with your words." she turned toward Emma. "You are not my friend." Poppy attended to the dishes, dismissing the girl.

"I know what I did was wrong...I am no better than any perverted man." Emma sighed in distress, placing the broom back in the cabinet.

"But I was thinking, and you were right, I have no right to judge your lifestyle, because I don't know anything about you or your previous life." She was fidgeting. "I won't tell anyone about this, but I need to leave as soon as possible."

"Why?" this caught Poppy's attention. "I cannot stand another day knowing that you are not mine." Emma admitted, feeling ridiculous. "I fell in love with you." she whispered, ready to be laughed at. But the black-haired girl didn't laugh.

Poppy still remembered what it felt like praying, that Viola wouldn't have a husband, so she would be all hers.

Suddenly, she hugged Emma tightly, her anger disappearing towards the girl, understanding her situation. Her dripping hand hold onto the other girl's purple colored dress tightly. "I understand." Poppy whispered into the girl's ear. "And I am sorry." she sighed.

The maid knew that Emma only needed one thing so she could move on.

So, she stood on her tiptoes, pushing a brown lock behind the girl's freckled ear as they looked into each other's eyes. Then, Poppy bent forward pressing a light kiss on Emma's soft pink lips.

Emma gasped, feeling the girl against her.

It was only a second, and Poppy leaned away, smiling. "I am not angry anymore. I will miss you dearly, Miss Emma, but I think it's for the better."

The brown-haired girl stood in a daze, her fingers caressing her lips, while her cheeks became bright red.

"I forgive you." Poppy got a hold on the girl's hands, giving them a gentle squeeze. "Thank you." Emma squeezed back, smiling softly.

Suddenly, water splashed on the ground as the sink was overflowing with water, making the two girls jump in fright.

"Fuck." Poppy cursed closing the tap.

Emma stood in awe. "You know I never heard you cursing during these months..."

"Oh, I do it regularly when no one is around." the maid winked.

Their hysterical laugh was echoing among the walls, as they both clutched their stomach with tears flowing down their face.

They were happy, but sad as the same time, knowing that they might never meet again.

~*~

Ann relaxed her fists, as the two girl remained on friendly terms.

Seeing her kitten kissing another female, made her ready to kill Emma, but deep down she knew that this was a goodbye on the maid's part.

They both heard with Viola the shattering sound coming from the kitchen, her cousin making her go downstairs with a rifle, in case of an intruder.

Not seeing any trespasser, she quietly disappeared into the dark, leaving the two girls alone.

It was their last night together after all.

Hi there! Don't forget to vote or comment if you liked this chapter! Thank you so much for reading! :)