A Face In The Crowd

Start from the beginning

I pulled the grate off the vent and placed it on the ground. Once I was inside, I pulled the grate back into place and started crawling through the air vents. I spent what felt like hours crawling through the air vents. In that time, I could feel my hands picking up more and more dust and felt cobwebs in my hair. It was so dark that I could barely see my own hands moving across the cold metallic ground. I did find some light while traversing through the air vents, but it didn't help me very much. Suddenly, something caught my attention, 'What is that smell?' I thought to myself, I couldn't tell what was making that smell, but whatever it was, it smelled delicious. I kept following the scent until my body was on top of an air vent grate and fell through. The grate and I fell to the ground with a bang. Fortunately, no one was there to see me. However, my left knee was scraped from the fall. I winced in pain as I held my left knee. Once the pain died down, I pulled out my band-aid and placed it on my knee.

Once my knee was patched up, I continued to follow the mouth-watering scent until I found its source, a large pizza pie sitting on a table. I crept into the room and looked at the pizza, I saw steam rising from it which further enticed me to gobble it up on the spot, but before that, I needed to wash my hands. Once the cobwebs were out of my hair and my hands were dust-free, I chowed down on the pizza, having food with no mold on it was a nice change of pace for me, I hadn't had a warm meal since the last time I saw Ness. After devouring the pizza, I also noticed and few wrapped candies in a bowl, the candies were called "Sundrop" and "Moondrop" which depicted prints of a smiling sun and a sleeping moon. I put a few of each candy in my pockets, but once I finished, a bright light was shone on me.

 I put a few of each candy in my pockets, but once I finished, a bright light was shone on me

The source of the light came from a blonde-haired caucasian woman. She was very young, at roughly early to mid 20s age with emerald green eyes and wearing a security guard uniform. "Hey, kid, what are you doing here? This area is off-limits to guests!" The woman said. I knew this meant trouble, I didn't want to be kicked out into the rain, so I tried to open the door to no avail as it wouldn't open. "Hey, don't freak out! I'm not gonna hurt you." The security guard said as she approached me. This feeling wasn't something new to me, I ran away from people that I stole from in the past, but sometimes, I was caught and beaten until I passed out.

"It's alright, don't worry, kiddo, everything's gonna be alright." The lady said to me as she got closer to me and leaned down to look at me.

I managed to look at her name tag which said her name was Vanessa.

"Don't worry, I'm here to help you." She assured me as she took me to the Atrium of the Pizzaplex. "Where are your parents?" She asked me.

"Umm... Erm... Getting food. They'll be with me soon and they told me to go in first." I lied, causing her to be suspicious and her concern for me grew immensely in a sudden. She took me aside and continued to the Atrium where she felt I would be safe.

 She took me aside and continued to the Atrium where she felt I would be safe

Upon arriving, Vanessa then let me rest on a nearby bench and examined me.

"Can you give me your name?" She asked and I gave her my name with some apprehension.

"Gregory..." I said.

"Gregory. Alright, Gregory, don't you worry, I'm sure that we can get somebody to pick you up soon."

"I doubt it." I suddenly said, causing Vanessa to recoil a bit in surprise. "Sorry..." I apologized. "But... I kinda got lost when I went in and now I'm looking for them."

Vanessa frowned. Nobody could fake that level of emotion, so with that in mind, she did the only thing she could think to do. "Don't worry, kid. I'll take a look around. Maybe I'll find them while you're waiting and lead them to you."

"I guess that sounds alright." I rubbed the back of my head as she said so, "Just go to the Atrium and stay there until your parents arrive."

With that, Vanessa took off and headed off to look for my parents even though I just lied about it since I don't have any. This left me alone in the Atrium to wait until she got back.

As I was waiting, I heard an announcement saying the Glamrock Animatronics were about to play. Excitement flooded the room and I was able to see the Glamrocks perform, at last, I could feel excitement welling up inside me.