Chapter 38- Comfort.

Start from the beginning

She didn't know what to do.

It didn't matter how many times she berated herself for ignoring her brothers, she still couldn't bring herself to leave her room. They didn't do anything. 

Space was all she simply desired. To be left alone with the wallowing thoughts that consumed every nook and cranny of her brain.

Facing her brothers again like normal, she felt would be a challenge. The sheer ignominy she felt over what had happened was overwhelming.

Milo got to her again.

Half-way through the week, Brynn's brain couldn't stop ravelling with anxious thoughts.

She was missing school. 

There could be things she needed to do.

She wasn't speaking to her brothers.

They might've thought she was being pathetic.

That thought made her curl in on herself with a scrunched, tearful face.

And there was one thought that recurred, painfully. 

Milo was never going to leave her.

The already curled position she found herself in proved useful when she couldn't be bothered to move at that thought, only sob.

---

"Knock knock?"

Brynn remained where she lay, only having woken up a while ago, but her eyes shot downwards towards the direction of the door. Milo didn't like to knock.

She heard the door handle twitch, her eyes shooting down to it and watching the metal move.

Slower and slower, the door opened, a figure stepping in. Milo didn't walk cautiously either.

"Alright, kiddo?"

The bottom of the bed dipped on the right side, making Brynn turn inwardly a little on the bed. Milo didn't look like Mika either.

She lifted the duvet up a bit more, hoping to conceal the red tear tracks mapping her face as much as possible. "Yeah, I'm alright," she whispered softly, "how are you?"

It had been a while since she'd seen Mika. She darted her eyes back onto the bathroom door.

Mika hummed, "I've been alright. You know that working for your brother isn't always sunshines and roses."

Brynn almost cracked a teary smile, "no?"

Mika chuckled, lightly, "definitely not. Totally not my favourite Verlice either."

"No?" She couldn't really bring herself to respond differently.

"No. I believe I've always been fond of the youngest. The coolest, in my opinion."

Brynn brought the duvet up a little more again, to cover, mainly, the red tracks, but partly the blush creeping its way up her neck. 

"Liar," she whispered, with a chuckly sniff.

A soft, barely audible gasp escaped Mika, movement from the corner of Brynn's eye led her to believe his hand was on his chest. "I would never."

Brynn hummed, subtly using the top of the duvet to wipe her face.

The awkwardness that clung onto the silence was felt immensely by the girl, so much so that the distraction of wiping her face with the covers didn't really work. She swore she heard Mika open his mouth a couple of times, but no words actually came out.