Store

It was night, and Crystal was getting ready to go to the house to investigate more. She went to Adan's door and knocked. "Enter."

"Hey, Adan, how are you feeling?"

"Better. Are you going to the house?"

Crystal nodded. "I think you should stay here, Adan. I'm worried about you enough as it is."

"Yes, I think so. I wouldn't want to interfere with your work."

The young woman entered the room. She noticed Adan sitting on the bed, looking forward. She sat next to him. "Adan, what happened in that house? You're a scaredy-cat most of the time. It's not like you to go alone."

Samuel mentally chuckled while Adan let out an embarrassed groan. "Yes, but things changed."

"You seemed to have changed. Adan, please tell me what happened?"

Samuel, in Adan's body, looked at Crystal. He had to admit that Crystal had a beautiful face. It had been a long time since he was close to a woman. Samuel cleared his throat. "You shouldn't go in that house, Crystal. It is too dangerous."

"Is it because of the ghost in the house? Adan, I'm getting close to finding out the truth! This could be our one chance to prove that Ronald DeFeo was innocent."

"Crystal, many people won't care or believe you even if you find the truth. You will only put yourself at risk."

Crystal raised her eyebrows. "Adan, I told you this before. Even if many people don't believe me, some will know that Ronald DeFeo was innocent. If you were in his shoes, wouldn't you want someone to prove your innocence?"

"I would, but you don't know what danger you have put us in."

The young woman was silent. "Tell me what happened."

Samuel was contemplating for a moment. "I know it will be hard to believe, but I felt something was calling me. It was as if something was controlling my body."

"Woah, are you saying that something possessed you?"

"Yes, I felt I was aware that my body was moving, but I had no control over it. I can't explain it." Samuel was silent for a moment. "I fear for you, Crystal. You are messing with something evil."

The two were silent until they heard a horn honking. "That must be Bobby; I need to go."

"So you're still going? Then it will be up to you. All I can say is be careful."

The two looked at one another until Crystal went on her way, leaving Samuel alone. Samuel stood up from bed and looked out the window, watching Crystal and Bobby driving away. Samuel let out a sigh. "I never imagined that your friend is very persistent and stubborn."

"Tell me about it. I told you!" said Adan. "Now that she's gone, we can go to the store. I'll instruct you on how to use the Lyft app."

Samuel let out a sigh. "More use of such contraception."

For an hour, Adan instructed Samuel to use the cellphone and app. Samuel was amazed at the technology that people in modern times had to use. Eventually, Samuel was able to get the hang of it. He waited for their ride. When it did, Samuel was taken to his destination. He was quiet during the ride and looked more at the city. He never felt so free being back in the living world. So much has changed in the last hundreds of years. Samuel would have never imagined that he would see how his homeland changed.

Suddenly, the car stopped. "Yo, we're here," said the driver.

"Ah, thank you, sir." Samuel got out of the car, and the driver drove off. He looked ahead and saw the store he was looking for. "Botanica Voodoo, let us see what it is inside." He entered, and a scent of sage hit his nose. "Reminds me of those times."

"Okay, dude, let's focus here. Let's get what we need and get out of here. This place gives me the creeps," said Adan.

Samuel walked inside and looked around. There was a young woman of African descent. The young woman was in her early twenties; her black hair was short and curly, tied in a bun. She was slim and wore a black tank top, blue jeans, and black sandals. She had a couple of tattoos on both her arms. "Welcome. Would you like some assistance?"

"Ah, not at the moment. I will look around but call you if I need it." Samuel got a small cart while looking for things he needed. He felt the young woman looking at him but tried to ignore her as he began to get specific materials.

"I'll be honest; we don't get a lot of white customers here in my shop. Not many of them practice voodoo; it scares them. The name is Abeni."

Samuel looked at her. "The name is Adan. It is nice to meet you; I'm sure my appearance surprised you. Voodoo can sound terrifying, but if one takes the time to learn and understand it, there is nothing to fear."

Abeni smiled as she watched him shop. "Are you trying to do a ritual?"

"You know by looking what I am interested in? You truly are impressive, Abeni. Forgive me, by the sound of your accent, you are not from here, are you?" asked Samuel.

"Wow, you are sharp. To answer your question, my family and I are from Ghana. I came here with my grandparents, and they made this shop. I now run it with the help of my grandmother." Abeni put her head on her hand. "So, what kind of ritual are you going to do?"

Samuel smiled. "It's something soothing. I have gone through so much; I need some stability." He finished getting what he needed and went to pay. The two kept speaking to one another; Abeni was fascinated with Samuel. She liked how calm, relaxed, and wise he was. 

Samuel finished paying. "Well, thank you for your time, Abeni."

"Hey, do you live nearby?"

"Well, I have taken some transportation to arrive here. It didn't seem long."

"Can I have your phone number?" she asked.

Samuel and Adan were shocked. "Dude, what the hell!? You were able to get her interest! Give her my phone number!" Adan told Samuel the number that Samuel gave to her. 

Abeni then sent a small text to Adan's phone, which was received. "Maybe we can go get a drink sometime."

"Sounds lovely."

Suddenly, they heard footsteps coming their way. They looked to their left and saw an older woman wearing a traditional Ghana dress and jewelry; her face was wrinkled. The older woman looked to be in her late sixties and was a bit hunchbacked. The older woman stilled as she looked at Samuel.

"Hey Adan, this is my grandmother Erzulie. Grandmother, this is Adan."

"Hello, madam," Erzulie said nothing. Her hard eyes looked at Samuel. "Well then, I must be off. Thank you, and good day Abeni."

Abeni bit her lower lip. "He's mysterious, grandmother."

"Stay away from that man."

The young woman looked at her grandmother. "What? Why?"

"I sense something in him. There is more to him that can lead him to be dangerous. Do not speak with that man again."

Abeni was silent but didn't seem fazed by her grandmother's words. If she were honest, she thought of him as mysterious and thrilling. "We'll see if that's true."