✿ CHAPTER THREE ✿

I woke the next morning to the sound of the church bells ringing loudly through the town of Sofswick

Sofswick was an incredibly isolated town located deep in the English countryside, meaning it was very behind-the-times. Orphanages weren't extremely common in England anymore, considering it was 1994. However, because of Sofswicks distance to the city, things like orphanages and mail by lettering wasn't uncommon, even in the neighbouring towns (which were at least 300 miles away in any direction).

The reason there were so many orphaned children in such a small town was because Sofswick East Orphanage was the only orphanage for thousands of miles.

Today was Sunday, which meant we would be walking the quarter-mile to the church for service right after breakfast.

I tried to recall the dream I had been having, but it was very hazy. I remembered the image of a large family, all with red hair. They were seated around an extremely long table, talking, laughing and smiling. The image faded quickly though, no matter how hard I tried to remember it.

From my small, almost bare cupboard I fetched my Sunday best outfit, a dark blue flowy skirt, adorned with white flowers, and white crocheted long sleeve. I changed and paired the outfit with my sandals, the only pairs of shoes I owned aside from the black Mary Jane uniform shoes. I made my bed and sat on top, opening Pride and Prejudice again. Breakfast wasn't until seven, and my bedside clock told me it was currently six-thirty-seven. I still had plenty of time.

A loud knock on the door echoed around my room. I opened the door to Sister Katherine, a kind smile playing on her lips.

Sister Katherine was by far my favourite person in the orphanage. I thought I was her favourite too, because she let me read her books and she braided my hair.

She stepped into my room, revealing a woman hadn't seen behind her. The woman's greying hair was slicked up and covered by a pointy black hat. Small, golden, oval-shaped spectacles sat low on her nose, attached to a thin gold chain which hung loosely around her neck. She was dressed oddly, in robes of deep forest green with gold details swirling around the hemlines.

"Good morning, Ruby Charleston." Sister Katherine said in her normal warm tone. "You have a visitor." I plastered a smile on my face as the woman walked into the room and pulled up the chair sitting in the corner.
"Who are you?" I asked skeptically. "I never get visitors, ever! No one does!" She smiled at me. A warm smile, a kind smile. I could't help but notice a gentle glint in her eyes, and something told me I should trust her. She nodded politely at Sister Katherine, who took it as her cue to leave.

"My name is Professor Minerva McGonagall." She said in calm voice, with a slight scottish accent. "Ruby," she paused, taking a breath, "strange things have been happening around you lately, haven't they? When you're upset or angry? Or scared?" I nodded slowly. She leant towards me and said in a low voice, "Ruby Weasley, you're a witch."