How was that even possible? He pondered.

"I'll go to Japan with you and make sure Vincenzo dies this time." Xavier informed.

"No!" A sweet fragile voice cried out and the door was slammed open.

"Tesoro?" Xavier jumped to his feet, his shrewd eyes flickered to the fragile woman. "What are you doing here? Why are you not with Rosa and the rest?"

Megan inhaled a shuddering breath and her voice broke. "I'm worried about you."

His heart thundered.

"What?" Xavier held her shoulders and lowered his stance so he was at eye-level with her. He gestured the men to be gone, leaving them both in his study room.

His mind swirled with thought at her confession. She was worried for him. Does that mean she cared for him?

The silence lasted for about a minute.

"What's on your mind tesoro?" His sexy voice washed over her, warm and gentle.

"You promised you would protect Rosa." She muttered under her breath, staring into space.

"Yes and I'm not breaking my promise. Antonio and Rico will protect you and Rosa with their lives while I'm-"

"No!" Her bloodshot eyes became watery. "You're her father. You're supposed to stay here. What if something happens to you? What are we going to do?"

His eyebrows raised a notch. "Wouldn't you be happy if that happens? I thought you would want me gone so you could have your freedom bella?" The taste in his mouth turned bitter as the thought reeled through his mind.

Tamping the twinge of disappointment, she looked up at him, hurt flickered in her eyes. "How could you say that so easily?" She slammed his chest hard. "You were the one who brought us back!"

How could he think that she would want him gone? He was more than just the father of her child. He was something more to her now. When she found out the truth behind the engagement... when she saw Xavier holding Rosa in his arms... when Chiara had told her about his past... every resentment she felt towards him became naught.

Xavier's face softened. He touched her face, his thumb caressing her cheek.

"I will not let anything happen to me tesoro. Not when I have you and Rosa now."

"Then don't go." The mellow tone of her voice, like an angel, made his heart pound hard. His eyes beamed with affection.

He pulled her into his arms and breathed in her familiar scent. "I'm not going anywhere."

His hug was stronger than anything she had ever known, as if holding her wasn't quite enough, he had to feel every ounce that she was pressed into him. She was like a butterfly who yearned for the cocoon, to be safe within walls, protected. His embrace helped.

Do you feel the same for me as I do you? Or am I just imagining it? Megan mused in his arms.

Xavier and Megan joined the family in the hall. They spent the evening eating dinner and talking. Adalberto grew very fond of Megan instantly. He saw the way she cared for Rosa. She was a natural mother. He could tell Rosa was everything to her. And it somehow reminded him of his deceased wife.

******

"How's Babbo?" Xavier asked in a soft voice, leaning against the wall in the nursery, his hands tucked inside his pockets as he watched Megan.