🏮56. Ice and Fire

Amber was startled out of her vivid dream about the deity.  That was the only way she could have described him. Although she felt filled with loss, and foolish.   It felt like she had lost something vitally important. However, she had no time to spend on moping. Presently there was a big man leaning down over her while she laid in her bed with his lips plastered onto hers. While his emerald green eyes stared into her own.

Her heart beat wildly in her chest, but it wasn't in desire like they showed in fairy tales.   Why would anyone feel desire in this situation?   It was pure fear that filled her mind. She required personal space!

However, she did recognize him.   This man was none other than the ruthless commander general. He was the male lead in Duchess Dash, Duke Dreyfus.

Amber felt tugging and swirling motions from her invisible webs.  They were twisted and tangled around her arms due to the intruder's movements.  Amber looked over while goosebumps appeared on her arms and she felt a sheen of cold sweat start to form.   Things weren't exactly going her way. Amber glanced over to see Alina loudly snoring, while laying on top of the oven; basking in the residual warmth.

Amber tried to calm her mind, before figuring out how to proceed.  General Duke Erin Dreyfus was basically a war god.   He was like a tiger.  Someone you didn't show fear to, and backed away from slowly, without showing your back, or running from.   He loved the chase. He was a violent man who loved a challenge. He excelled in dominating and rarely heard the word no. Amber's mind was still flitting around when she felt the wet sensation of his tongue sliding across the top of her lips.

Amber's mind snapped and she exploded with ice energy radiating out from her entire body.   The blast from it sounded like hurricane winds and pushed Duke Dreyfus back towards the door of the tent. He stumbled backward and out where he unceremoniously fell onto his butt.  He looked up at Amber from his sprawling position with shock, indignation, and delight flitted across his features in turn.   Ice ribbons exploded from Amber's palms and spun around her like a tornado. Thick layers spun around, filling the area.

Outside the tent, Jessera's eyes changed from heartbreak and jealousy, to rage. Her eyes radiated murder as she glared at Amber.  Then she pulled out a dagger the size of her forearm and stalked forward.

Duke Dreyfus blinked in surprise while looking at the tent. It had turned into a solid ice cocoon, with a small opening around Amber.

Alina was trying to free herself from the ice surrounding her.  Her light magic was only strong enough to stop herself from freezing solid, but not strong enough to free her from the frozen prison.   She looked at Amber as if she were viewing a monster. Amber breathed heavily, surrounded my ice and hyperventilating.   Her entire body glowed brilliantly blue, while the ice dome slowly expanded outward; filling the surroundings.

Her eyes were unseeing while she panicked and different scenes in Duchess Dash filled her mind.  Scenes of the General happily torturing his enemies and scenes of twisted romance between him and Cray.   It was one thing to read a novel from the safety of her home and something else entirely to face such a sadistic and twisted individual head on. She knew she had to capture the dragon egg.   If not, she'd never have come here, but she hadn't planned for this.

A low chuckle came out from the Duke's lips as he held out his arm, effectively stopping Jessera's forward momentum.  She stopped still, taking a deep breath while clenching her hands into fists and putting her dagger away.   Normally she fought with wind, but when she was particularly angry, she pulled out her long dagger.  This allowed her to get closer to her victim, to feel their life slip away while they rested in her hands.  Her hands continued to stay clenched at her sides, but she ceased coming forward.

Duke Dreyfus chuckled while pushing his dark auburn hair, cut short with a long messy fringe, out of his eyes.  A small amount of stubble resided on his strong jaw, which he rubbed in contemplation, while his emerald eyes glow in interest.  He stood up from the ground with shocking grace, given his wide shoulders, and muscular structure.  Then dusted himself off with a cocky grin playing on his lips.  He walked towards Amber who was breathing heavily.

He raised his arm and flicked his red glowing hand forward.  Red light shot out from his palm, turning into brilliant orange flames that licked around Amber's ice.  Soon the entrance to Amber's tent had melted and Duke Dreyfus casually walked back inside.

Alina, finding herself free, shivered in fear from the oppressive level of magic in the air. She shook while flying under the stove and turning herself invisible.

Looking down at the stunningly beautiful woman with powerful magic, he felt enticed.   It had been some time since he'd felt interest in anything and even longer since he'd felt a strong desire to conquer a woman.   He snickered, pulling the flames back from his palm while looking down at Amber.  He reached down, grabbed hold of Amber and lifted her onto his shoulder like a sack of potatoes.  Then he carried her out to her tent.  All that was left of her ice was mist swirling around.

After exiting the tent, he flicked his wrist again.  This time a bubble expanded out from the palm of his other hand.  The bubble grew to be twice as big as Amber was tall.  While the bubble was still attached to his palm, he lifted Amber off his shoulder with his other hand, by the back of her clothing.  He lifted her up and into the bubble; kind of like a cat would lift a kitten.

As soon as her body was released into the bubble, she started to float.   It was when weightlessness hit her, that her eyes blinked in confusion and then widened. She stood, floating in a bubble, attached to General Duke Drefus's palm. While he looked at her with an excited gleam in his eyes, as if he'd just found the best new toy ever.

Amber looked out over the surrounding crowd behind the Duke. Some of the faces looked apologetic while others looked surprised or confused. Jessera still looked angry, but also resigned.  There was nothing that Jessera could do to control the Duke, he was, after all, her master.  Perhaps this new woman would only capture the Duke's attention for a short time, and then she would just be subordinate.

Jesssera shrugged her shoulders, trying to release some of the tension while she walked off.   The whole time she tried to pretend that her attention wasn't fully on what was happening behind her.   While trying to not show how hurt and lonely she was feeling. Who told her to fall in love with her boss, wasn't that just foolish?

While looking over the crowd, Amber secretly checked her threads to see if they were intact.  She felt a bundle of nerves release from her when she felt the reassuring tug of strings attached to her needles.

She was safe.  She was still safe.  Why does her second life have to be so tiring?

Amber's eyes met the Duke and she glared in annoyance. "What do you want?"

"You," said Duke Dreyfus.