🏮18. Show Me My Victim

Amber held onto the cure securely and ignored the two people droning on in front of her.

When the doors opened, it came as no surprise that the two of them were headed over to the clinic to watch the show. Amber wouldn't bother with all of these theatrics, but she might as well take this low hanging fruit and slap that disgusting man down a peg or two while waiting for Ena. It wasn't too much trouble to walk over there and cure those people.

Amber followed a little distance behind the guy and girl when the girl named Mary glared behind them at Amber before looking back over to the boy beside her adoringly. "It seems that even a random servant thinks that they can come see the show."

"Don't be rude, Mary," he said while frowning down at her.

Her ears became pink and she continued. "You're too nice, senior brother!"

Philip smirked and chuckled in amusement. "You have to get accepted into Jora Sect first and then you can call me senior brother."

She looked at him with a pout on her face. "I will surely pass and get to stand by your side."

"Did you get a good look at the woman who challenged Divine Doctor Denari?" he said.

"I didn't, but my friend who was down in the restaurant said that it was a pretty girl with long silver hair. Apparently Denari offered her a position as one of his concubines and for some reason she was offended to the point of challenging him. I mean, I wouldn't want to be with him because I already have my heart set on somebody else," She paused and blushed, but he didn't seem to pay attention. "But it's also an honor to be asked by him," she continued.

"So we might not see anything spectacular. It's probably just some random girl playing hard to get or perhaps hoping to catch the eyes of my Jora Sect," he said.

"That's probably most likely, since the Jora Sect is the local sect in this town," Mary said.

They walked up to the clinic and saw a large white building with a window that took up half of one wall. A large crowd gathered there and excitedly chatted while making bets. Most people thought that the girl was an insufferable braggart and would obviously lose. They were excited to see the good show of Amber being crushed under the divine doctor's feet.

Mary and Phillip walked over to the viewing area to wait for the show while Amber walked around the other side, to the staff entrance of the clinic. Waiting for her at the door was Doctor Denari and a couple of other doctors. His three concubines were waiting by the viewing area.

"This is quite irregular," an old doctor in a lab coat, who had a long white beard said. His short wide nose scrunched and his eyes squinted in his wrinkly face. His neck was flushed red in irritation.

"Now see here Dr. Ben, I've already gotten the approval of your superiors. I don't want to hear another word of complaint come out of your mouth," Denari said.

A young man in his twenties stood beside the older doctor wearing an identical white coat. He had short light brown hair and deep green eyes, behind thick black framed spectacles and a cute face. He kept twisting his coat in his hands nervously.

"These are human lives you're talking about, not toys!" said

Dr. Ben.

"What are you concerned about? They've signed the agreement to not hold the clinic accountable if something should go wrong. They're going to die anyway," said Denari.

Ben clenched his fists. "I will have no part in this madness. You've brought an unlicensed woman of unknown origins here to play a game with other people's lives! I don't know what kind of connections you have, but you were a fool at the academy, and you remain one to this day."

"Yet I'm an honored Divine Doctor and you're a simple doctor in a small clinic," said Denari.

"Sam!" Ben said.

The young man stopped twisting his coat and stood up straighter. "Yes, Dr. Ben?"

"You deal with this bungler. I'll be in my office. If something goes horribly wrong, come get me. Keep a close eye on this sly fox and that unlicensed woman he's trying to collect," said Dr. Ben.

"So what? I'm trying to collect her. You should consider finding a good woman. You look ridiculous, being single at your age," said Denari.

"You look ridiculous walking around with three women hanging on you. They look young enough to be your granddaughters. Why don't you just keep your antics to yourself and not involve other people?" Ben said.

Denari glared while thinking about it.

"I need to teach that beauty a lesson. Public humiliation should be a good start to putting her back in her place. By the time I'm through with her, she will be begging me to spare her and kissing my feet. I will then be generous enough to forgive her and take her as my fourth concubine. She will fall into line like the rest of them and be well behaved," said Denari.

Ben's eyebrows steepled and he shook his long sleeves, as if shaking off something filthy. Then he walked into the clinic without another word.

Amber cleared her throat behind Denari. He jumped and quickly turns around. Sam's face turned crimson and his eyes widened with the realization that she must have heard the two doctors talking about her in such a rude way.

"The unlicensed murderer is here, show me to my victim," Amber said with a bored look on her face.

Denari quickly walked ahead and into the building while Sam stayed back and held the door open for her.

"Thank you," she said curtly and walked in after Denari.

Sam slowly followed in after her and started to wring his coat again. He was just an apprentice and not used to dealing with pretty ladies.

As she walked down the white hall, she came to two doorways. A double door led to the main part of the clinic and the other door at the end led to the large viewing room. Most clinics had viewing rooms, because clinics get funding by demonstrating how excellent their facility is. The world of 'Duchess Dash' was extremely competitive.

Amber entered the large viewing room and saw an orange skinned lady in the middle of the room laying down on a cot. Her rattling breaths were obviously difficult for her to make. Every once in a while, her body shook. Blood was beading on the surface of her orange skin, which was covered in sores and bruises.

On the other side of the viewing window were hoards of people with excited smiles on their faces. They had grossed out expressions while looking at the sick woman. Standing quietly at the corner of the window was Fudd with an anxious look on his face.

The orange skinned woman slowly turned her head to look at Amber. "Please...help."

"Rest assured, In just a moment I will cure you, and then you can leave this dreadful place," said Amber.

Sam who was quietly sitting in a chair by the entrance of the room looked at Amber's confident expression. For the first time he felt that perhaps it was possible. He sat up straighter and decided to observe her diligently as she began.