🏮36. Ghostly

That night, shortly after Amber's head hit her pillow, she went into a deep sleep. That wasn't overly unusual since she'd been quite busy lately. What was quite shocking was that shortly after her breathing and mind calmed, a ghostly arm lifted up out of Amber's much more solid arm that was resting on her bed. The ghostly fingers floated up into the air and soon copies of her other limbs struggled to be released from her solid body. At first it was clear that her solid body didn't want to cooperate, but soon the copies were able to struggle out with a pop. Soon It looked like Amber had grown doubles of her limbs. The translucent body parts to release were her head, chest, and butt. The two ghostly arms pushed down on the bed to give themselves better leverage and soon the ghostly head was also released with a loud pop. Right afterwards, the ghostly chest and butt were also released when she sat up and climbed off the bed. She looked down at herself and noticed that the gown she'd been wearing hadn't come with her. She had a featureless naked body, like a doll made for little kids.

Amber stood beside her bed and looked down at her body laying down on the bed. A frown appeared between her ghostly eyebrows. "This had better be a dream. I swear, if I've randomly died again, I'm going to be ticked. Is a little bit of happiness and contentment in my life the trigger for death?" Amber rolled her eyes and then looked back down at herself. Her body kind of looked dead, it certainly wasn't moving. Amber leaned down and poked it. Her finger sunk into her solid body as if it were made of sponge. Amber's eyes widened in surprise and she tried to take her finger back. Her finger was stuck in her arm and so it took a few tugs before she was free.

"Well that was unexpected." Amber put her hand to her chest and breathed heavily in fear. There was no beating in her chest and there was no rise and fall of lungs. She checked her neck and wrists for vital signs, but there were none. Then she checked under her nose and there was no feeling of air on her finger. Amber bit her bottom lip and leaned over towards her body. This time, she was careful to not touch herself. She gently held a finger under her nose and felt the air of her breathing. How was she breathing without being in her body?

Amber turned her head when she saw a puff of dark gray smoke slip under her window and then materialize into Ena. Amber waved at Ena and smiled reassuringly. "Welcome back Ena. Don't be too alarmed, it's just me Amber. I'm not really sure what's going on."

Ena glanced down at Amber's body laying down on the bed and yawned. When she flew over to the birdhouse that Amber nailed to the wall. Inside the round bird house was soft fabric that Ena had pulled through the round hole. She climbed into her comfy bed and fell asleep. There was plenty of time in the morning to talk with Amber. Such an odd thing. She'd gotten used to living with Amber to the point where she gets sleepy at night.

"Ena! Come here, I need your help!" Amber said. There was still no movement or sounds coming from the birdhouse. Amber blinked her eyes several times in shock. "I can't be seen or heard."

Amber's breathing sped up again, but not really. She felt frightened and alone. Memories of her past life living alone and her death filled her mind. She hadn't thought about her painful and lonely death so vividly for a while now. She remembered the feeling of blood leaving her body and wishing that there was at least a single person who would miss her. She supposed that perhaps her parents would come to her funeral, it would look bad socially if they didn't and they were all about appearance. Was she dying again, but this time without a body? Did she get rejected by her new body?

Amber pressed her ghostly hand onto her solid hand. Again, her hand felt like a sponge. There was a little bit of spring and resistance, but when she pushed into her hand, her ghostly hand slipped in. Amber tugged her hand back again and it slipped back out with some resistance.

"Well it looks like I'll be able to get back into my body, so it hasn't rejected me," Amber said to herself. Her feeling of loneliness was somewhat alleviated by hearing her own voice as strange as that was.

"Well I have two options. I can either climb back into my body and call it a night or I can see if it's possible to wander around as the invisible woman." A genuine and unrestrained smile spreads across Amber's face for the first time in a while and her eyes sparkled gleefully. She glanced back down at her body that was quietly sleeping and walked over to her bedroom door. When she reached out her hand to take the handle, her fingers slipped through the wooden handle of her folding wooden door. She pulled her hand back and looked down at it, before slowly placing her hand up against the door. She felt no resistance at all, not even the feeling of a sponge. It was as if there wasn't anything there at all.

Amber pressed her hand into the door. She watched as her hand sunk into the wood as if the door were made of water. She could feel a slight temperature change as her arm passed through the other side of the door. She pulled her arm back through and turned it this way and that, looking at it carefully for any damages. When she felt confident that she was entirely without injury, she closed her eyes and took a step through the door. There was a slightly strange feeling as the door passed through her. It felt a bit like a trapped air bubble in her stomach that she wanted to burp out. It wasn't painful in the least, but it didn't feel quite right either. She clapped her hands as she looked out down the hallway and started walking with a bounce to her step. At this time, she was unaware that the decisions she made this night would have a far reaching impact on her life.