HOW IT ALL BEGAN

To believe in love is one thing, to fall in love and be completely swept off by it only to be pulled back because of others disapproval is another. In a country like India where honor killings are nothing more than a regular Tuesday, I dedicate this story to the people who lost their loved ones to rivalry.

CHAPTER 1

The round lights of the hospital hallway kept rushing away on top of her. The stretcher dashed into the double doors which hosted the Emergency room. All the bystanders of the patients divided for her stretcher to pass.

"Shes covered in blood"

"Looks like an accident"

"She doesnt look hurt, must be someone elses"

They kept chattering away as Bhoomika struggled for her life. The knife stuck in her side was sucking her life out of her. Eyes still shut she endured that pain, nothing worse than what she already knew to be true but wasnt yet ready to accept.

"Bhoomi..." Her mother wept in her gravelly voice "My child, oh look what happened to you. Ashok, how could you-"

Not affected by his wifes words, Bhoomika's father stood his arms crossed across his chest. His jaw set in determination "She gets what she deserved"

In her mothers arms wept Bhoomikas little sister Triveni who gritted her teeth at her fathers remark. How could someone be so cruel to their own daughter, even on her death bed? Veni still felt guilty about not holding sooner. She shouldve fought harder against the pain when her dad beat her to disclose where Bhoomi had gone.

The doctors came in asking her family to get out of the room. The green curtain surrounded the patients beds as they started the procedure. The knife was removed from Bhoomikas side. The smooth skin of her stomach was marred with stitches and bandages.

Hours later when all her bystanders were asleep, Bhoomika opened her eyes. Where was she? What is this dark place? Blinding pain spread across her stomach. What is this pain? She lifted her top to the bandages. Slowly reality started to come back to her. Flashes of that damned night came back to her.

Running, Abhimanyu was holding on to her hand never letting go.

Cars, cornering them. Her father getting down from it.

Abhi being hit behind his head by someone while she was dragged away by her father.

Her being stabbed when she ran towards her love.

Abhi being stabbed mercilessly and losing consciousness.

"ABHI!!" she screamed.

The doctors rushed in before even her parents woke up. Bhoomika was thrashing in her bed, her raw stitches already on the verge of breaking.

"Bhoomi calm down" her mom soothed her.

"Calm down child, its going to be okay" the doctor started.

"Calm down"

"Calm down"

"Calm down"

"WHERE IS ABHI? WHERE IS MY HUSBAND?" Bhoomi screamed at the top of her lungs.

The room froze. No one has an answer to that. Bhoomi turned to the doctor grabbing him by the collar.

"Please, tell me. Where is my husband? Is he okay? Please" He just looked at her helplessly, not saying anything. Because she knew the answer even before she asked the question.

"No, No No No No" She broke down. Her hands fisted in her hair as she wept, her hands going to her neck to the mangalsutra he had given her. But it was taken away. No doubt by her father.