Chapter 17

Those eyes, great Starlight those green eyes! 

Snowfall stood frozen looking into the eyes of this male Apprentice. He looked so familiar and in almost an instant her mind recalled back to three moons before when she had been to the river the first time. Oh sweet Ancestor's! That's the wolf I saw at the river that day moons ago! I knew I felt like I'd see him again!

Now that she could see him in 'better' lighting, she noticed the distinct pattern on his face. It was subtly striped like a birch tree, only the stripes were going down his face not horizontally. His pelt was gray with bits of brown, dark gray, and black, and his chest, underbelly and some of his face was white, like under his eyes. And around his eyes there was a dark gray and brown coloring.

Snowfall darted into the bush honeysuckle before she made herself look any weirder to the stranger Apprentice. She sped walked out of the bushes and began to eye around for leaves and whatnot and she didn't have to go really far to find any since she wasn't in need of a lot. That was so weird! I wonder who he is?  Now I have to find out. She thought as she rapidly grabbed some leaves off the ground. Great! One more thing for me to have my mind on top of like a million other things! Why does there have to be so much going on!

Snowfall brought her head up with the mouthful of leaves and grass to look in the direction of the setting sun. The last of the vibrant orange and gold glowing rays were shining through the trees right in her face and white pelt. Above in the soon-to-be night sky, colors of dark blue already began to appear with the long streaks of fluffy pink cotton-like clouds stretched across. The sound of cicada's buzzed around her making the setting all the more better. Her mind flashed back to about a half a moon ago when she and Sorrel had gone out one evening to the stream just to go out. 

Sorrel grinned to herself as she lapped at the water's stream with Snowfall beside her. 

"What are you so cheery for?" Snowfall had asked.

Sorrel stopped lapping the water and looked at Snowfall with a warm look. "Do you here that?"

"The cicada's? Yeah, Thistle always says he finds them a nuisance because they never stop buzzing in the evenings." 

Sorrel rolled her amber eyes. "Nuisance? Hardly. The sounds of summer is what I call it. My favorite part of these hot days. And they carry such a nostalgic noise that I hold dear, I'm not sure why though." She looked onward across the stream to the sun rays hitting their faces.

Snowfall looked at the running stream water and grinned herself. Sounds of summer..

She opened her eyes, almost hearing a whooshing of the wind sound coming out of the memory  and found herself back in the unknown forest to her with the wad of grass and leaves in her jaws. I really wish I had Sorrel here, I'm gonna miss her so much... I say that like I'm never gonna see her again, it's only for a moon. She reminded herself. On the topic of upsetting and depressing things her mind had also wandered elsewhere and looked down.

Why does Maple have to like Alder too? Now what am I to do! I don't want to say I like him too, but at the same time I kind of want to. But I don't want to make Maple feel upset... The real question is, does Alder even see me in any way, or worse, what if he were to see Maple in some way instead? Now I really can't tell any wolf about this..

Bringing her eyes back up from the ground, deciding that this was enough pondering for now and she'd better go back to camp before some wolf came looking for her. I just hope nothing too crazy goes on down here. Oh what am I saying? Things are already in a muddled state on just the first day! Things can only get crazier can't they?