Seventeen

Sage Williams

Sage Williams

It's safe to say that I didn't feel safe.

Seeing him was like opening up a wound that hadn't scabbed over. Or the wound was scabbed over, but not dried out. If you peeled back the scab, it was still going to be bloody. It would still be crying for attention.

And the last thing I wanted for him to see was me at my weakest ever again.

I hadn't slept in my dorm room once since he arrived on campus. Whenever he left the first time, I would come home from school to mom and dad. Mom and dad would take turns laying with me in bed while I sobbed and sobbed over and over again. Then the days would repeat.

Minutes turned into hours.
Hours turned into days.
Days turned into weeks.
Weeks turned into months.

And months turned into two years.

Two years for him to speak to me. Two years for him to come back. Two years for him to act like everything was okay. Two years that he dragged me beside him as I waited for him to come back and tell me that he loved me too and that he was sorry for leaving me.

I couldn't sleep on campus.

And although my house was near campus property, I mentally could not handle being within the same vicinity as him. But it didn't even matter.

Nothing prepares you for the moment that you see that person for the first time again. Whether it's the random one-night stand you had. Or it's the high school history teacher you had a crush on. Nothing prepares you.

I was not at all prepared to see him. I mean, how could I ever prepare to see someone like that? Someone who left without uttering an excuse? Someone who left after comforting you? Someone who left his heart with me and never came back for it.

If I stayed in my dorm I knew I would have run to find him and demanded answers from him.

But you know what– I am not that girl anymore. I am not a girl who needs answers. I am a girl who is perfectly fine with moving on with her life without the closure she deserved two years ago. Clearly, he never thought twice about leaving so why the fuck should I still be hung up on someone who left me two years ago.