Chapter 18

"Are you nervous about the wedding?" Declan asks as he walks me to my room.

"A bit, yes. What about you?"

"I don't think I'm going to be able to sleep" he says, running a hand through his hair.

"I love it when you do that" I say.

"Do what? Being nervous?"

"No, not that, Deccy" I say, rolling my eyes. "I love when you run your hand through your hair. It's always made me feel... Things."

"Oh, so that's why you sometimes look at me like your eyes are about to pop?" he says, laughing.

"Please tell me I don't look that ridiculous."

"You don't, I'm kidding" he says, hugging me as I let out a sigh of relief. "But I had noticed the way you look at me when I do it. I noticed it the first time."

"Really?"

"Really."

"And is that why you are constantly doing it?"

"I do it unconsciously. But if I notice you've seen it, I may do it again on purpose" he says with a smirk.

"That's torture, my lord" I say. "You could end up in prison."

"Lord Declan Rice, thrown in prison for touching his hair and making his wife horny" he says with a deep voice.

"Oh, shut up, Deccy" I say as I break from his hug and try to punch him. He just laughs, and he does it with that laugh of his that can be heard from the other side of the country. I can't help but laugh too, feeling some of my nerves going away.

"You know, tomorrow by this time we will already be husband and wife" I tell him when we make it to my room.

"Lord and Lady Rice" he says with a shy smile.

"It doesn't sound as horrible as I thought."

"You still have time to run away" he says, teasing me. "You have experience."

"And here I was thinking about giving you a good night kiss... But by saying that and being an idiot, I think you just missed the chance" I say as I turn to open the door.

"Oh, c'mon, little poppy. You know it was just a joke" he says.

I open the door, ignoring him and not giving him a reply.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said anything. Sometimes I speak before thinking."

As I turn back again to look at him, I can see something like fear on his face. He's worried I may be mad before the wedding. Maybe even that I may actually run away.

"Declan," I say, holding his hand "I don't know how many times I've said it, but I'm doing it again. We are stuck together. I'm not going anywhere."

"Even if I'm a jerk?" he says with a smile.

"Even if you are a jerk, yes."

"Am I getting that good night kiss, then?" he says, pulling me closer.

"I'm afraid not" I reply, stopping him. "We are stuck together, but being a jerk has its consequences."

"And if I give you a gift?" he says as he takes something out of his pocket.

"Is that... Is that the ribbon from that day at the modiste?" I can't believe he still has it.

"It is, yes. Do you remember it?" he asks, surprised.