Chapter 19

It's been three months since the wedding, and we haven't stopped traveling.

A couple of weeks into the new year, we joined Mason and his future wife on a little trip through the coast to celebrate "our idiots" birthdays. They happened to be born just a few days apart, and in the same year.

"It's like you were destined to be best friends" I said, making fun of them.

After that, we joined Declan's parents and went to visit his brothers and their families. All of them were lovely, and kept saying that us ending up together was bound to happen.

"It's like on the romance novels" his older brother said when we met. "Enemies to lovers, though you've always been in love with each other."

"She says she hasn't been in love with me since we were kids. Can you believe her?" Declan told him, trying to sound hurt.

"Then she's lying" his brother replied.

"I'm not lying. Or have you forgotten about his horrible haircut? No one could fall in love with someone with that hair" I said.

"Don't worry little brother. She'll recognize it rather sooner than later. It's the stubbornness that runs in the family" his brother said, giving me the same smile Declan does when the teases me.

Once the visits to his family were over, we traveled to court. We had been invited to the Queen's birthday celebrations, and I was going to be introduced as the new Lady Rice.

"I wonder how long it'll take for someone to run with the news to my father" I say to Declan when we arrive.

"I don't know if they'll be brave enough to face your father and deliver the news" he says. "But if they do tell him, it's best that they are the ones who feel his wrath and not us. I'm too young and handsome to die."

"Of course you are, Deccy" I say with a laugh.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

The day of the Queen's birthday, a big ball is happening, lords and ladies from all around the country in attendance, and I find myself I'm constantly looking at what the women are wearing, at their gowns and jewels.

"The modiste would kill to be here. So many dresses to copy and find inspiration from" I tell Declan.

"But you know that she'll want to trying them all on you, don't you? Everything looks so good on you, darling" he says, trying to sound like her.

We are talking with some lords Declan is friends with, when a familiar face joins us.

"My lady" Lord Hadfield says.

"My lord" I reply.

"I wasn't expecting to see you here, my lady. Especially with this company" he says, pointing at Declan. "But I should congratulate you, shouldn't I? The new Lady Rice."

"Thank you, my lord" I say. Declan is so focused on his conversation that he hasn't noticed Lord Hadfield.

"I heard your father is feeling a bit better financially speaking. I guess marrying his daughter to a wealthy man helps" he says with a laugh.

"What are you implying, my lord?" I ask him.

"I just think that it's not a coincidence that he suddenly has money to pay his servants and properly run his household, and you show up married to the youngest son of one of the wealthiest families in the country" he says with a shrug.

"So you are implying that he basically sold me like you would sell a cow or a pig?" I say, annoyed.

"I'm not saying that, my lady" he says, trying to excuse himself. "But why else would he allow his daughter to marry someone from a family he despises?"

"Maybe because they are in love, my lord" a female voice says behind me. The Queen. I can see color leave Lord Hadfield's face when he sees her. "You must be blind to not notice that these two are madly in love with each other" she continues.

"Your majesty, I..." Lord Hadfield says.

"You, my lord, should not believe every bit of gossip you hear. Or spread it" the Queen says with a threating look. "I didn't take you by one of those, my lord. Especially when you know how it feels when people talk about you behind your back. How is your daughter, by the way? " she says with a smirk.

The moment Lord Hadfield's daughter is mentioned, his face goes even more white. The Queen definitely knows something.

"I... I'm sorry, your majesty" he finally says, looking at the floor.

"You shouldn't be apologizing to me, my lord. The one you've offended is my friend, Lady Rice."

"I'm sorry, my lady" he says with a clumsy bow.

"My lord."

"I better go. They are waiting for me" he says as he leaves.

"Thank you, your majesty" I say to the Queen.

"There is nothing to thank me about, he deserved what he got."

"Was that Lord Hadfield? What did I miss?" Declan says as he joins us.

"Oh, nothing" the Queen says. "Women things. Now let's go find my husband and see if the cake is ready. He told me this year it has a surprise!"

"Maybe her husband is coming out from inside the cake. Naked" Declan says to my ear as we follow the Queen.

"Declan!" I say, looking around us in case someone may have heard him. "Though I wouldn't mind seeing it" I say in whisper, teasing him.

"You'll be disappointed" he says. "Nothing new to see. Or better. And he doesn't shine like a diamond like I do" he says all proud. I can't help but laugh at that. "But, if you like the idea of the cake, we can try it for your birthday" he says with a cheeky smile.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

A couple of weeks later, just as we are ready to leave court and go back to the Mount's state, a letter from my mother arrives. A very short one.

"Your father knows. Come back home."