Chapter 20

"Tapping your foot like that won't make the carriage go faster, you know."

"Shut up, Deccy."

"Alright, alright. No need to get violent" he says as he moves to sit in front of me.

We are on the carriage on our way back home. On our way to talk with my father.

"Can you please stop?"

"Stop what?" he says, confused.

"Stop looking at me like that. Worried."

"I look at you like that because I am worried about you. You've barely slept or eaten since you got your mother's letter to the point of being sick. Every single day."

He's right about that. I've been so nervous thinking about how my father will react, about what he'll say, that I've forgotten about everything else. Declan included.

"I'm sorry" I say, letting out a big sigh. "It's just that..."

"Little poppy?" he asks, moving to sit next to me again. "What is it, are you alright?"

"I'm going to be sick" I say, quickly putting a hand in my mouth just in case.

"Should we stop the carriage?" he asks.

I just nod, already moving to the door. The moment it stops, I get out faster than I've ever had.

"It's alright, love. It's alright" Declan says behind me, his hand on my back. "Do you want some water?"

"Yes, please" I say once I'm finished.

"I'm calling the doctor the moment we arrive home. You can't face your father in this state" Declan says when he's back.

"I'm fine. I'll be fine" I say, trying to sound convincing. He nods, but I know he doesn't believe me. Urgh, I can't wait for this to be over.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

When we arrive back in town, we go to Declan's house, where his parents are waiting for us.

"You look dreadful, my dear" his mother says the moment she sees me.

"Breakfast didn't sit well with me today" I say with a shy smile.

"Today, and they day before, and the day before that..." Declan adds.

"I'm just nervous about being back, nothing else."

Lady Rice just nods, her eyes fixed on me. "Why don't you go upstairs and have some rest? I'll ask the maid to make you something to eat" she says, her gaze still on me as she calls for a servant. "Declan, you stay here with us. We need to talk".

My guts are grumbling like crazy when the maid arrives with the food. I was hungrier than I expected, and it looks like Lady Rice knew it. Once I'm finished, I lay in bed. Declan's bed. I hadn't noticed I was in his room.

I try to get up again, to be a bit noisy and check his things, but my legs feel too heavy. My legs, and my eyelids.

When I wake up it's very dark outside, Declan on the other side of the bed. I curl up next to him, quickly falling asleep again as I focus on his breathing, trying not to think about anything. I'm home. He is home.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"How are we feeling this morning?" Lady Rice asks me when we go downstairs for breakfast.

"Good. I really needed a good night of sleep"

Which is true, but also a lie. I felt sick the moment I got out of bed, even while getting dressed. But I didn't tell Declan, I didn't want to worry him more than he already is.