Chapter 7

It's been a week since my encounter with Declan at the pond, and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. About how scared I felt when I couldn't find him. About how hot my body felt when we both were naked in the water. And about how angry I was when he said that stupid sentence. "If you looked down you could see that there are longer things in my body". Who says something like that? Only idiots and kids, and that's what he is. An idiot, a jerk, and the biggest kid ever. He regretted it the moment he said it, I know it. But for some reason I can't totally forgive him. Not even when he's been sending me the most beautiful flowers. They don't come with a note, but I know they are from him.

I'm looking at the bouquet he sent yesterday when my mother and Elena come into the room.

"You have a visit" my mother says. "And today's bouquet of flowers has also arrived."

White lilies. They are stunning.

"Put them with the rest" I say.

"I'll leave you two to talk" she says to Elena while putting the bouquet with the others. "And who knows, maybe she'll tell you who is the mysterious person sending her all these flowers."

"I'll try my best" she replies with a wink. I just roll my eyes.

Once my mother has left, Elena quickly comes to sit next to me, her eyes wide. "You have a suitor and you haven't told me?"

"He isn't a suitor."

"They are from Declan, aren't they?" she asks. "He's the only one capable of making you that angry."

"They are" I admit.

"What is going on between you two?"

"Nothing."

"Oh, please. I'm your best friend, you know I'll keep the secret. And you totally look like someone who needs to vent to her best friend" she says.

"I... I don't know what is going on between us" I finally say. "But... I think... I think that that saying your abuela told you may be right." I feel my face turning red, I've never said that aloud. I want Declan. I desire him. Every fiber in my body does.

"You love him?" Elena asks.

"What? No!" I say, though I'm not so sure about that anymore. "But I feel things when he's close. Physical things." I feel my face burning now.

"Well, that's normal. He's extremely handsome. Having him around can definitely make you feel things" she says.

"But it feels... Wrong" I say. "He's a Rice. And I've always hated him. Our families despite each other. It's not possible."

"The heart wants what it wants" she sshrugs.

"You are not helping, you know?" I say, frustrated, sinking between the pillows of the sofa where I am sitting.

"I can help you with something, though" she says. "My mother is throwing a small masquerade ball, and she wants me to give her a hand. Why don't you join me? It'll keep your head occupied and make you forget about Declan and whatever happened that made him send you so many flowers. Unless you want to tell me."

"We'll leave that for another day" I say. She's my best friend, but I can't confess to her what happened at the pond. Not yet. "I'll help you and your mother."

"Great!" she says as she hugs me.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

It's the day of the masquerade, and the whole town is attending. The garden at Elena's house looks like it just came out from a fairy tale. It's simply beautiful, and as she said, "it's all thanks to us."