Hurts so good

You're fighting me off like a firefighter
So tell me why you still get burned

"I do not like him, I just used him for his money." She merely shrugs. Her words sting more than I'd like to admit. 

She's dancing around fire, right?

I'll resume the dance.

"I don't really care, Ray." I shrug in response this time. "I'm talking to Carmella anyways." Lie.

Another one to protect my dignity.

Yet, when I look at her reaction to that lie, I want to care less about my dignity and more about the hurt flashing in her eyes because of it.

You wanted to dance around the fire, April.

I'm just resuming the dance.

I got burnt. 

But so did you. 

Why?

*~*

You say you're not, but you're still a liar
'Cause I'm the one that you run to first

"April . . . what are you doing here?" I look at her confused as she stands in the doorway to my bedroom. "Are you.. okay?" I ask, concerned about her broken looking state.

"Ramee," She immediately leaps forward and wraps her arms around me. Although her arms soothe every part of my being, my soul still aches knowing she's hurting.

"Please don't leave me alone tonight.." Her words are like needles pricking all over my skin. "I need you."

I need you.

I NEED YOU.

I   NEED   YOU.

She needs me.

"I'm right here, you're okay." I run my fingers through her hair as I pull her inside the room, closing the door lazily with my foot.

Laying down with her sleeping peacefully in my arms, all I can think of is I'm the one she ran to first.

That's gotta mean something, right...? 

Right.

*~*

Why do you try to deny it?
When you show up every night?

"Bad day again?" I sigh with a soft smile as I notice her red eyes and equally red nose. She scrunches up her nose, sniffling softly as I put my hand behind the back of her head and pull it to my chest, immediately wrapping my arms around her.

I close my eyes, sighing as I hear her break into a sob. 

I just hold her tighter.

Tighter to myself.

"You're fine." I tell her as I kiss her hair, my hand carressing her waist with soft, comforting motions.

"Also, don't think I come here because I want to, okay? I come here because you're the closest  when I need someone." She declares, still sniffling softly.

Why are you still dancing around the fire, April?

Why do you try to deny it even when you show up every night?

"As you say." I sigh.

I resume the dance.

*~*