"Don't be so scared. My cock's pretty-"

"You're going to fry my brain," I pivot on one foot, "I also think that's impossible. Penises can't be pretty."

He yanks me back and spins me around, holding me in place, which is beginning to feel like routine, "Stay put. I didn't mean to scare you away with cock talk."

I send him a look. He grins like he's loving this. I swallow and straighten up now. I planned this thankful little speech in my head so I clear my throat.

"Are you about to lecture me, Violet Fawn?"

"What? No." I furrow my eyebrows.

"So what's with the presidential stance?" He looks me over and I look down to myself. I'm not doing anything. I'm only standing up straight and trying to look confident.

"I'm trying to look confident." I voice. Now, his lips lift into a smile and he nods.

"Keep going. I can almost feel your self-esteem boosting mine." He encourages and I know that's not true but it makes me feel good anyways. I like to think I'm a badass in my head and I also like to imagine I'm a cool, confident girl. 

"I wanted to say thank you. Because that guy was gross and you stopped his grossness. I really appreciated it."

Perfect. I didn't mess up.

He seems to look a little more serious now, torn up maybe. He's silent for a moment, "I brought way more fucking attention to you, Vy. The last time that happened, you-"

"Wait-" I pull my face back, "I mean, it wasn't very moral but I'm glad you did it. You made me feel safe."

His eyes lift to mine but he still looks unconvinced, as if he's been beating himself up about it. That's surprising.

"I didn't mean to. To spotlight you, I mean." He looks down to me with sincerity in his eyes, "I can tell it's not something you like. But I wasn't thinking when I saw him get in your face, that fucking moron."

I shrug and try to smile, wanting to lighten up, "The megaphone was pretty funny."

He looks me over and then his lips tip up slightly, "You take pleasure in other's torment, Violet Fawn?"

"I am no sadist. You're the masochist." I quip, remembering his whole liking torture comment. I balance on one foot and peek into the room he was in, "So what were you doing in there? You know, if you weren't sexing?"

"Sexing? I didn't realise we were in the fucking 1800's."

"Don't laugh at me." I say because he looks seconds away from folding over.

He holds up his hands, "I laugh in admiration, sweetheart." He says and as I blush, he turns and stalks back into his room. Apprehensively, I follow into the dark room, only lit by the light of the adjoined bathroom.

"Do you like to wallow in darkness? Is this the real you, party monster? That's definitely a dent to your reputation." I feign a gasp and he smiles as he walks over to the large open window. He hops up onto it and turns around, until his legs are hanging off the outside.

"I was actually about to shift into a werewolf. Full moon's out." He looks to me over his shoulder. 

I walk across the room until I reach him. The window overlooks the backyard with a pool, the party still in full swing as the night progresses. There are people in the water, others by the poolside drinking and talking. It's noisy down there but quiet up here as we look to it all.

I glance up at the night sky, the full moon high above. Everest's legs swing slightly and even as tall as we are, he doesn't look the slightest bit afraid. If anything, he looks a little distant. He twists the silver band on his finger, eyes on his hands.