Chapter 65: Graduation

Start from the beginning

That's right, we didn't. We laughed as us girls cheered on Jessica.

Jessica Davis: So, news, boys, our point is far from made. And we're not shutting up.

We start applauding, whistling, & whooping after Jessica said that.

Jessica Davis: But you are right about one thing: I am a one-issue president. I'm a one-issue person. I spent the last couple of years angry. Hurt. Scared. But I'm not gonna do that anymore. I'm gonna focus on my one issue. Which is love.

There was some laughter and some jeering when Jessica mentioned love.

Jessica Davis: Oh, what? Does talking about love make you embarrassed? Is it girly? What? Because it's the thing. It's the only thing. It's easy to hate. It's easy to fear. It's goddamn hard to love. But it's not optional. It's essential. It's life or death. I challenge you. Love each other. Do it. Do it better. Now and every day. I love you all.

And I love you too, Jessica Davis. Just like I love all of my friends. But more importantly, I love you, Clay Jensen.

Jessica Davis: Oh, and fuck the patriarchy.

Yeah! She just had to say that. Everyone began cheering, whistling, whooping, & raucously applauded Jessica for saying that. I turn to see Bolan's & Foundry's reaction and they were like "let her have it". After Jessica was done, it was Clay's turn to speak. If anyone had a hard time at Liberty, it was Clay. Everyone knows what he went through and what he's done for his fellow students. There's a reason why the students of Liberty voted him to speak, and we're about to find why they voted for him to speak.

Clay Jensen: It comes down to one question. Will you survive high school? Will I survive? Because I know too many people who didn't. In the past two years, 2 people who I loved have died. And 2... 2 other people... (Sniffling) ...who I thought I hated, also died. But I learned that hate is too simple. Jessica's right. Hate is easy. Love and understanding are harder. But they are how we take care of each other, how we survive. (Sniffs) My dad loves to tell me stories about when he was in high school. The stories usually involve chess club and obscure bands with funny haircuts, because the '80s were a strange, strange time.

Everyone laughed at that. But then again, I do love all things '80's.

Clay Jensen: But he always gets one thing right. He knows high school can hurt. That it can be painful. That there are days when that's all it is. And he once told me that he's living proof... you can survive. You can get through it. He's living proof, and so am I. And so are all of you. And the thing is, for me, for us, this class, this... this generation, high school actually is life or death. We show up every day not knowing if this is the day we die. If this is the day someone shows up with a gun and tries to kill us all. We practice what we'll do if that happens. Life or death.

Clay takes moment to breath.

Clay Jensen: I suffer from anxiety... and, uh, depression. But mostly anxiety. I sometimes think all of us kids do, in some way. And how could we not, with the world the way it is? We hear a lot of promises that things will get better. And... and, look, maybe they will, maybe they won't. And what I think I've learned, what I wanna say to you... is whatever happens, keep moving. Get through it. Choose to live. 'Cause even on the worst day, there... are people who love you. There's new music waiting for you to hear, some... something you haven't seen before that will blow your mind in the best way. Even on the worst day, life is a pretty spectacular thing. Thank you. Good luck.

I wipe the tears off from my face. What Clay said was real beautiful. I'm really proud of Clay. After he was finished, we were all called up to pick up our diplomas one by one. When my name was called up, everyone cheered for me. I can hear my parents whistling from the stands. I go up to Bolan as he gives me my diploma.