Chapter 17: Clay Testifies

Clay Jensen: Hey, Skye. It's, uh... It's me again. Clay. Calling you. Nothing much new to report. I go to court today. To testify. For Hannah. Still dealing with Justin. But, I mean, things are actually great. I'm glad to be going to court, and I really think it's going to be a good way to get closure. Yeah, I'm really looking forward to being done with all this. I love you. Call me. Bye.

Clay calls Skye and leaves a voice message as he has not heard from her in days. Today, Clay Jensen finally gets to testify. After leaving Skye a message, Clay head downstairs for breakfast as he enters the kitchen but suddenly stops.

Clay Jensen: This is weird.

Clay sees Justin having breakfast with his parents which is weird for him.

Justin Foley: You should have some pancakes. They're fucking amazing.

Matt Foley: I'll get you a plate.

Matt stands up to serve Clay his plate.

Laine Jensen: Clay, your dad's going to take you to court today.

Clay Jensen: (Exhales) Great.

Laine Jensen: I wish I could be there as well.

Clay Jensen: Really no problem.

Clay goes up to the table to grab a napkin and takes 2 pancakes from Justin's late.

Clay Jensen: I've got this. And you've got alt-Clay here, so...

Clay walks away much to everyone's confusion as his dad just stands there with Clay's plate. Clay heads out front as he picks up the newspaper. Clay notices red ink on the newspaper as he opens it up and a picture falls out. Clay sees "HANNAH LIED" written in red ink on the newspaper. Clay picks up the picture and looks at it. It's a picture of a comatose Hannah. Clay puts the picture away and throws away the newspaper before his parents can see it. Clay goes up to his room and puts on a suit for court. While hanging out with Tony, Caleb confesses that he likes Tony. Tony would asks him about the guy with no eye that he beat up and Caleb tells him that the guy is haunted by the assault. Today is Alex Standall's 17th birthday. Alex's friends have something special in store for him as he & Jessica walk through the hallways.

Alex Standall: Aren't we going the wrong way for your 1st period?

Jessica Davis: Uh, I thought we'd take the long way today.

Alex Standall: Why is Zach waiting for us? And why is he smiling like that? What?

Zach is standing at the end of the hallway with a smile on his face as Alex & Jessica approach him.

Zach Dempsey: Wait, is it your birthday?

Jessica Davis: Whoo!

Zach Dempsey: Whaaaat?

Alex Standall: What?

Alex turns the corner and sees a banner hanging up high wishing him a Happy Birthday.

Alex Standall: You guys got a banner made?

Jessica Davis: It was a group project. I made the design, Clay ordered it online, and Zach put it up.

Alex Standall: Wow, that's... (Chuckles) ...That's really, really nice, you guys.

Bryce Walker: Aw. Happy birthday, buddy.

From behind, Bryce & Scott show up as he puts his arm over Alex.

Scott Reed: Oh, sweet banner. Is your mom bringing cupcakes?