Chapter 2: The Tapes

It had been over a week since Hannah Baker tried to take her own life. Since then, Justin Foley, Jessica Davis, Alex Standall, Tyler Down, Courtney Crimsen, Marcus Cole, Zach Dempsey, Ryan Shaver, & Sheri Holland have received, listened, & passed on the tapes. Tony made sure that everyone listened to the tapes or he would have to release them publicly so everyone will know. Once they've all listened to the tapes, they knew eventually they would make their way to Clay Jensen who is close to Hannah. They all knew that once Clay begins listening to the tapes he will be quite about their dark secrets, especially about Bryce Walker. Olivia & Andy Baker are suing Liberty High School. The Bakers believed that Liberty High School was responsible for failing to see the signs that their daughter needed help. Liberty High School believed that they were not responsible for her suicide as they did all they could to help her. A tribute was set up at her locker at school as people post letters for her. Clay Jensen misses her. He visited her over the weekend with Tony. Clay left before ever getting a chance to meet her parents. For Clay this was rough because the month before he lost a friend already, Jeff Atkins. Jeff died in a car crash that Hannah & Sheri were responsible, she explains in on the tapes. Clay stands in front of his locker as he looks at Hannah's locker.

Clay Jensen: (Whispering) First Jeff, now you. Why is this happening?

Girl #1: She was so pretty.

Girl #2: Totally.

2 Girls take a selfie in front of Hannah's locker as Clay rolls over his eyes.

Clay Jensen: (Whispering) Seriously?

Girl #1: What is it again?

Girl #2: #NeverForget.

The bell rings as students begin making their way to their class as Clay approaches Hannah's locker.

Justin Foley: What the hell are you doing?

Clay turns to his right as he sees Justin Foley standing right next him as he looks like he hasn't slept in days.

Clay Jensen: Nothing. I'm just...

Justin Foley: Looking for something?

Clay Jensen: What would I be looking for?

Justin Foley: You tell me.

Clay Jensen: Do you even know my name?

Justin Foley: 'Course I do, Clay.

Kevin Porter: Guys. Second bell.

Mr. Porter approaches them to inform them to go to their class.

Justin Foley: You're not that innocent, Jensen. I don't give a shit what she says.

Kevin Porter: Mr. Foley, let's go. Get to homeroom. You too, Mr. Jensen.

Justin makes his way to his class which also happens to be the same class that Clay has next, Mrs. Bradley's Communication Class.

Mrs. Bradley: So, there are a number of ways to ask for help if you need it... or if your friend needs help, all right? And all this information is either outside my office... or outside the main office. It's on the main page of the Liberty High School website.

Pratters: Ms. Bradley, is it possible we could be done with all this? I mean, it's been over a week. Isn't it healthy to, like, move on?

Everyone in class disagrees with Pratters as Mrs. Bradley tries to calm everyone down.

Mrs. Bradley: Okay, everyone, thanks.

Pratters: Seriously, I know, it's tragic... but I don't want to be reminded of it all the time. It's depressing.