Chapter 3: Paying The Price

Clay would go on to listen to tape 2 & 3 which were Jessica & Alex. Clay learned about their friendship with Hannah and how it ended when Alex & Jessica started dating and Alex put Hannah's & Jessica's name on the Hot or Not List. Clay first talks to Jessica about her tape. Jessica doesn't believe a word Hannah said. Alex on the other hand felt remorse. Alex even told Clay that he visited her at the hospital after he listened to the tapes and passed them on. Clay has yet to visit Hannah at the hospital. Clay would also discover that Tony had been in contact with Olivia Baker, wondering if he can even trust him. It's Halloween, Clay had listened to tape 4, Tyler Down. Clay learned about Tyler stalking Hannah around by taking pictures of her from outside her bedroom window. On Tyler's tape, Hannah instructs them to going to Tyler's window so he would feel how she did when she first heard Tyler's camera click. Later in the night while everyone was Trick or Treating, Clay was riding his bike as he comes by the Baker house and sees a bunch of kids covering the property in toilet paper. Clay stops ashe scares off the kids but Olivia comes out.

Olivia Baker: Drop it, right now! You stay right there while I call the police.

Clay Jensen: Wait, this wasn't me.

Olivia Baker: It's in your hand.

Clay Jensen: No, I was taking it down. Really.

Olivia wasn't buying it as she tries to go back inside to call the police when...

Clay Jensen: Mrs. Baker, I know Hannah.

Olivia stopped as she turns back to Clay.

Clay Jensen: We used to work together. I was riding by, and I saw these kids...

Olivia Baker: You know Hannah?

Clay Jensen: I do.

Olivia Baker: Would you want to come inside?

Clay Jensen: Sure.

Clay accepted Olivia's invitation inside her home. Clay has walked Hannah home once after work, but this is the first time he's been inside. Clay sits down on a couch chair while Olivia pores herself a drink.

Olivia Baker: My husband was the one who suggested that we not give out candy this year. He thought seeing all the kids would make me too emotional. Now all it's done is attract them.

Clay Jensen: I'm really sorry. Kids can be...

Olivia Baker: Yes. They can. Did you... Did you want a soda or something?

Clay Jensen: I'm really fine, thank you.

Olivia takes a seat next to Clay.

Olivia Baker: Hannah didn't have many friends, so I'm... I'm thrilled to finally meet one. Clay, was it?

Clay Jensen: Yes. Clay Jensen.

Olivia Baker: You do look familiar, though. You 2 worked together?

Clay Jensen: Right. At the Crestmont.

Olivia Baker: I wonder if she said anything to you. Did she ever talk to you about her experiences at school?

Clay Jensen: Uh, experiences?

Olivia Baker: I mean, did she ever say anything to you that would indicate that she might have been mistreated or bullied in any way?

Clay Jensen: I, uh... we didn't really talk about that kind of thing, I guess. Maybe I was more of, um... an acquaintance than a close friend.

Olivia Baker: I see. We moved to this town for a fresh start. For all of us, but... especially for Hannah.