❄B26❄ Insecurities

Chapter Twenty-Six

Brayden's POV

Insecurities

November 23

As Thanksgiving grew closer and closer, the campus started to get emptier and emptier. Everyone was leaving for the holiday—well, at least everyone. I know Heather wasn't, and I felt bad about that.

Two days before Thanksgiving, I showed up at Heather's room to ask if she wanted to spend Thanksgiving at my place.

She rejected the invitation.

"I don't have money for an airplane ticket and I don't know your family that well. I don't want to ruin Thanksgiving for you guys; it should be between family and friends only," she said, leaning her head against the doorframe.

"You're my friend, Heather, and I called my dad last night to see if he'd be cool with it. He's totally fine with it," I assured her. In fact, my dad was enthusiastic about meeting Heather. I've mentioned her a few times when I talked to him.

"Maybe on the outside. I'll pass this time," she murmured, her gaze dropping to the floor.

"Heather, you can't always spend your time alone like this," I said, concern filling my voice.

She snapped her head up, a glare forming in her eyes. "Who are you to tell me how I should be spending my time? Maybe I like being alone!" she snapped.

I flinched. This was the first time she's ever talked to me like this. "Okay, okay, I'm sorry," I apologized.

"I really don't like how you pity me all the time; I'm not a charity case!"

"You're not," I agreed, confused as to why she'd be thinking that way. I never considered her a charity case; I was just worried that maybe she felt alone all the time.

"Can you just go? I'm tired," she said, making a move to close the door on me. It was then that I noticed how dark the skin under her eyes were. She looked weak—in an unhealthy kind of way. I haven't seen her in nearly a week.

"You okay, Heather?" I asked, worriedly, taking a step close to her.

"I'm fine!" I could tell she didn't want me to come any closer, so I stopped moving towards her. "I appreciate your generosity, but I don't feel like doing anything right now. I just want to rest."

"O-okay," I stammered. "I'll see you later?"

"Will you really, Brayden?" she said, morosely.

"Of course," I said, confusingly. "I always do, don't I?"

She smiled sadly at me before saying, "Never say things you don't mean."

❅❄❅❄❅❄❅❄❅❄❅❄❅❄❅❄

"Are you alright, Brayden?" Berkeley asked, when we were out roller-skating later that night. She leaves for home tomorrow after her last class, and since we wouldn't be seeing each other for three days, she suggested we go out on a date today.

"Definitely..." I said, although internally, I wasn't. Heather's last words to me had been haunting me all day.

"Well, it doesn't look like it," she said, dragging me out of the path of an incoming wall. I was terrible at roller-skating, but Berkeley was a pro. I could only glide and cling onto the walls, afraid of falling.

"I'm just terrified of this roller-skating," I said, in a teasing manner. "What if I fall over?" I shook my head free of any thoughts of Heather and grabbed onto Berkeley's arm. "Start moving, loser."