Chapter 62: The Finals Days Of Justin Foley

Start from the beginning

Jessica Davis: I think he was ashamed. That's why he didn't tell you?

Clay Jensen: I... I wouldn't have, like, judged.

Hannah Baker: It's not that. It just... It takes time. To deal with what is.

Charlie gets a text on his phone as he checks it out.

Charlie St. George: Zach's downstairs. He says he can't come in.

Jessica Davis: Fucking Zach.

Fucking Zach is right. I've put up with his bullshit for the past 6 months, but this is the last straw. Justin is his best friend, and he needs Zach right now. So me & Charlie both got up and make our way downstairs. We go outside where we find Zach sitting down by a statue.

Hannah Baker: Zach!

Charlie St. George: Hey. Hey, what the fuck? All right, get upstairs.

Hannah Baker: Justin needs you right now.

Zach Dempsey: I can't, guys. I just... Hospitals. (Clears Throat, Sniffs)

Hannah Baker: You need to see him.

Zach Dempsey: Guys, I watched my dad die in this hospital.

Shit, I didn't know that. So it must be really hard for him being here.

Hannah Baker: I get it. It's hard. This is the hospital where your dad died. And this is also the hospital where I was in a coma for 5 months. For 5 months, I laid there while you guys listened to my tapes and all hell broke loose.

Charlie St. George: Yeah? Yeah, me and my dad brought my mom home from this hospital so she could die in her own bed. And you know what? Right now, your best friend is really sick upstairs, and if you don't go see him, you are gonna regret this for the rest of your fucking life!

Hannah Baker: He's right, Zach. I know a thing or 2 about regret.

Zach Dempsey: I can't, guys. (Sniffles) I can't.

Gosh, this is harder on Zach than on all of us. Zach knew Justin since they were kids. He's known him his whole life. I've only know them for 3 years. I take a seat next to Zach, thinking of a way to get him in.

Alex called Winston and asked to meet him at Monet's. Winston arrived first as he waited for Alex to arrive. When Alex arrived, he immediately sits down in front of him.

Winston Williams: Hi. I was really surprised you texted me.

Alex Standall: It was me. I killed Bryce Walker.

Winston was shocked.

Winston Williams: You're lying.

Alex Standall: No. I found him on the pier. I was alone. I tried to help him up. He threatened to hurt Zach. I shoved him in the river. He drowned.

Winston Williams: Alex.

Alex Standall: Yeah, so... that information is yours now. Do what you want with it.

Alex gets up and leaves Monet's as Winston just sits there that the boy that he loves was the person who killed Bryce Walker. Back at the hospital, the Jensen are talking with Justin's doctor inside his room while Justin sleeps with a ventilator on his mouth.

Doctor: The ventilator breathes for him. It keeps his blood oxygenated and helps protect against organ failure.

Clay Jensen: How long does he have to be on it?