43. confessions (part i)

IT'S BEEN TWELVE DAYS since I last saw Dane Anderson.

Which sucks a little bit more than I'd care to admit.

I guess you don't realize how much you enjoy arguing with someone until they're gone, and you're back to the mundanity of life at your favorite craft shop, which also so happens to be your place of work, and the establishment of your best friend's grandmother.

I've been talking to Ruby over video call pretty much everyday since the end of the program and keeping up to date with everyone else via the (annoyingly active) group chat Anaya forced us all into right before leaving for the airport.

Then we'd all teared up a little then went our separate ways with the promise to meet up again soon—Dane obviously not included in this promise or group chat.

In fact, I didn't even get to say bye to him.

Micheal Buble's playing over the speakers as I take down stock notes behind the cash register, lips pressed together as if it will give the illusion of concentration when my mind's on everything except the stock.

"—Sinclair's supposed to stop by at two."

I nearly jump at the sound of Roselyn's voice, head swinging up to locate the source. "Oh, okay, got it."

I return to my task, taking note of the fact that I don't hear her walking away, my eyes dart back up. "What?"

My boss leans onto the counter, resting her head on top of her hands as she studies me. "Something's wrong."

"Nothing's wrong, Roselyn, please."

"You've been quiet since you've gotten back despite having won a scholarship. Debt-free, Cleo! You should be on cloud nine. And yet..."

"I am on cloud nine," I force a smile. "See?"

Roselyn wags her finger at me. "Uh, uh, uh. Your eyes will always give it away."

I squint at her before shaking my head.

"It's the boy, isn't it?"

I jolt. "Um, ew. What boy?"

"Nicholas. Or whatever that little shit's name was. You feel bad that he messed up your winning speech."

"Oh," I snort, shoulders relaxing. "No, trust me. I'm very much over Nicholas Murphy."

"Then the other one—what's his name? The young man that lives here."

"No, no we're not doing this again."

"Did he give you a hard time?"

"Oh, yeah, the hardest," I say just to placate her, "Now will you please let me get back to the stock?"

"Fine. Obviously you don't feel like talking about whatever happened right now. But just let me know if you do."

How could I talk about nothing?

"Okay, great, thanks. You can go work on the card orders now," I nod, rushing to look back down at the notepad I have in front of me.

Roselyn sighs before she starts on her way to the back of the store. I wait until the door swings shut behind her before letting out a big sigh.

This is stupid.

Stupid feelings, and stupid words that I can never get out.

Who am I to care about Dane Anderson anyway? Just some girl who likes fighting with him about things that don't matter and kissing him and publicly humiliating people that wrong us?